Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumbling brass

Tumbling brass

I decided to have a tentative look at this wet tumbling with stainless pins business, I got hold of a cheapo U.S.A. made rock tumbler, plugged into a step down transformer, sent for a small bag of pins from Spud, tried it using some Carex & Jif lemon juice ... Ki'nnell!!! Bright lights!!!!, stuff came out better than new out the box! ... Just have to be careful with the smaller cal stuff (.17), need to get hold of a pin/rod magnet to ensure none left behind when emptying them.

Just ordered the very thing from here, Buy Magnets Online | first4magnets.com
    Last edited by finnbear270; 15-12-2014 at 08:45.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Excellent stuff - Here's my machine, also a rock tumbler.

Just got back home to find the magnets have arrived, checked thru all the stuff tumbled with pins, around eight pins recovered from .17 brass, & four from the .223..... for a fiver I reckon the magnets were pretty good value, seeing how I wouldn't want pins causing pressure problems or even bore damage,.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I did hear through the vine that dave (baldie) valkerie missed a case or 2 he wet tumbled with stainless pins had some left in and they went through his rifle,am not exactly sure what happened or whether is damaged anything, i think it was methuen cup day this year, I was there though I shot dreadful

I repaired a pristine #4 Lee Enfield with a cracked bolt head and a blown case head from a pin left in a case. I won't touch them. Ultrasonic only. Clean good, shiny....meh!~Muir

Me neither muir, I don't even bother with ultrasonic as my unroom it in the attic and ive no water supply up there.

For years I used #4 steel wool and the case spun in a Lee Zip Trim. I lucked into a cheap US unit, so....~Muir

me too but I use a cordless drill and steel wool, still do it with some that have stubborn stains on, aa2520 is the most stubborn, rel 19 and n140 about the quickest to tumble clean

I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Use water,vinegar and a little washing up liquid. 20 minutes and they come out shiny. 20 for the unit and pennies for the vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlander View Post
    I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Use water,vinegar and a little washing up liquid. 20 minutes and they come out shiny. 20 for the unit and pennies for the vinegar.
    I do the same but finish by dunking them in a mild solution of washing soda which prevents the coppery finish the acidic vinegar causes.