Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer location

Deer location

Had a good walk round my land yesterday, it was a cold frosty morning and I was over there at about half eight (yeah I know....)
    I wasn't expecting to see anything out in the open so concentrated on the woods, even paying very careful attention to wind direction, which was swirling a bit, I saw absolutely nothing.
    I should add this ground has a very high population of both muntjac and roe, as we all know nothing is guaranteed in this game, but you can usually guarantee seeing deer even they are not a shooting opportunity. I should also add this wasn't a quick spy round, this was concentrated effort of about 4 hours.
    So it seems obvious they are laying up somewhere, the game crop is pretty thin now so I can see they aren't in there, so I would seem logical that they are as far into woodland and out of any cold wind as possible.

I just wondered if anyone else had any more thoughts or could share experiences about behaviour on their land?

Quote Originally Posted by stuartp View Post
    even paying very careful attention to wind direction, which was swirling a bit.
    I expect the deer saw you, and more to the point got your scent. I recently observed through binoculars a Red deer hind and calf disappear into a very thin hedgerow to avoid a dog walker.

atb Tim

It's a possibility.
    I have seen seen deer disappear at massive distances in Scotland just getting wind of hill walkers.

Looking at the slots yesterday, they had been been out and about OK, I just wonder if would have been better off getting out earlier, or last knockings.
    These sorts of things don't usually bother me but I know for fact come the end of the doe season the buggers will be back out in the open.

Frosty days always look for a sheltered sunny spot, they will come out to warm up about 10 - 12, easy pickings then.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Frosty days always look for a sheltered sunny spot, they will come out to warm up about 10 - 12, easy pickings then.
    8.30 ? Way too early. Try any time between 12-3.30. Once that sun goes over they vanish.
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't, teach it.

As Taff says & They don't eat much just now trying to conserve energy and stay warm. chances are they stay still and pick up your movement as you go past
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

So once the weather turns cold, "usual" first and last light is best replaced with outings more in the middle of the day when slightly warmer? Genuine limited experience question.
    Tim

In my opinion yes, shot two fallow Saturday which was frosty, 11.30 and 01:45 pm, the week before we had three roe and two fallow in a day first was 9.30 last was 3:15, I take as many deer in the middle of the day in winter as early.
    But more squirrels at first light, now that's real sport.

Not at all.tjm

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    So once the weather turns cold, "usual" first and last light is best replaced with outings more in the middle of the day when slightly warmer? Genuine limited experience question.
    Tim,

That's my experience.
    I've stalked on land where all the Roe just move off when it's cold for weeks on end.
    Have your breakfast and get out on the good feeding ground that will be accessible. High sun is when I see them "get up and out". You will already be there in ambush.

Stan