Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to start

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

where to start

Ok, I went to the range yesterday and was shown some lovely reloading kit available to members, fantastic, I really want to reload but don't have the space. Now there is a decent place to do it and a decent bloke who said he'd help show me the ropes.

I have kept the various brass from the factory ammo, but now I need to gurfumple myself with the rest.

Let's keep it simple

Deer stalking mostly under 100 yards

Bullets, powders, primers, books....where do I start!

Any advice duly listened to!

Take a drive up to Brock & Norris, they are not so very far from you & are a top team - Talk to Mike or Ian - they know what works, are always helpful, have a good selection of books, powders (including the excellent & cheap Reload Swiss & Elcho brands) & bullets etc. They will gladly advise & help you select everything you need and can also recommend your starting loads using the components you buy. I'd give them a call in advance so you go on a good day for them. You could learn a tremendous amount & get sorted in one visit.

Ian

p.s. You already know Mike's work so why not support him by purchasing your consumables from him.
    Last edited by Yorric; 15-12-2014 at 13:19.

no space?
    looking for 1" or better stalking loads for short range shooting?

sounds like a lee loader waiting to happen!

Reloading on a Budget

As bewsher500 has said don't go made buying stuff or spending money as you can do this with very little gear and at quite modest cost. People will encourage you to buy all sorts of stuff that you "need" to engage in arcane practices but my loads shoot better than I can and I don't do anything other than put a primer in, fill with powder and stick a bullet in the top. I also use the Lee trimmer thingme to trim to length each time around.

Now I went the press route rather than with the Lee Loader but even so the photo below shows the gear I use to reload 308. The only things missing from the photo are my press and a powder funnel:

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Ok, I went to the range yesterday and was shown some lovely reloading kit available to members, fantastic, I really want to reload but don't have the space. Now there is a decent place to do it and a decent bloke who said he'd help show me the ropes.

I have kept the various brass from the factory ammo, but now I need to gurfumple myself with the rest.

Let's keep it simple

Deer stalking mostly under 100 yards

Bullets, powders, primers, books....where do I start!

Any advice duly listened to!
    Buy a book on reloading and READ it. Not just the load data, the body of the book. "Modern Reloading" is good, "ABC's of Reloading" is good. Go into the sport informed.~Muir

Joe there is a manual at the range that you can borrow and also a copy of ABC's of reloading which I believe is currently on loan to another member but will be returned shortly.
    All the kit is there for you to use, and it's some pretty good kit too most of it being brand new RCBS.

All you need to obtain is - 1) 100 x 150 grn bullets (Sierra or Hornady suggested, nothing exotic).
    2) Large rifle primers.
    3) Suitable powder. I would suggest TR140 or Vhitavuori N140.

Mike Norris can sort you out with all if you are up that way but another possible source for TR140 not too far from you is HPS in Newent. http://www.hps-tr.com/
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Buy a book on reloading and READ it. Not just the load data, the body of the book.
    Good advice! I'm waiting for my FAC to come back after putting in to up my ammo quantities to allow me to start reloading. I started reading about reloading about 6 months ago though

With .308 of course there is no great need to reload at all, although I can sort of understand the desire.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    With .308 of course there is no great need to reload at all, although I can sort of understand the desire.
    ?????? How about financial need.

Joe paid 32 a box when he purchased 40 rounds the other day and that was after a discount. With care he should be able to reload 100 rounds for less than 50 and he has no need whatsoever to lay out on equiment. He even has access to a nice quiet reloading room at the club.

Attachment 50401
    Last edited by 8x57; 16-12-2014 at 12:00.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I think PPU stuff for .308 is around 14 for a box of 20.