Thread: Re-barrel and variation.

Re-barrel and variation.

Police Scotland (Grampian) inform me I will have to re-apply for my .243 slot once my rifle comes back to me as a .308, by submitting a variation request and paying the according fee.
    I have already informed them I wish to have my fathers 243 put on my licence as shared with him controlling security for it (I don't need access to his cabinet), so I thought this could have been done as a 1 for 1 type variation, previously fee if done in seven days.
    Any comments or advice welcome.

I'm confused (doesn't take much).
    do you currently have an open .308 slot (which your rebarreled rifle will fill)?
    if so, I'd agree with you that it should be a free 1 for 1 to keep your .243 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I'm confused (doesn't take much).
    do you currently have an open .308 slot (which your rebarreled rifle will fill)?
    if so, I'd agree with you that it should be a free 1 for 1 to keep your .243 slot.
    Yes, open .308 slot. I thought I could do a 1 for 1, giving details of the "disposal" of one and the acquisition of another in the same caliber at the same time.

They are incorect, if you have an open 308 slot which will be filled by your rebarreled rifle, it will leave you with the slot for your rifle for the calibre it used to be.
    You will need to tell them that you want to retain this slot in your chosen calibre and this will incur no cost

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    They are incorect, if you have an open 308 slot which will be filled by your rebarreled rifle, it will leave you with the slot for your rifle for the calibre it used to be.
    You will need to tell them that you want to retain this slot in your chosen calibre and this will incur no cost

Ian.
    That's what I was thinking should be the way it was handled. I will employ some tact and diplomacy, see how I can retain the 26.