Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider identification

Spider identification

Hi folks,

does anyone know their spiders? I found this guy sitting on my BBQ cover in the garage and wondered what type of spider he was? He is about 1 1/2" long and From looking through the web sites I'd say he's a "bold jumping spider" but wasn't sure.

im in Oklahoma so he's obviously a native of here, I'm not worried by spiders at all although not keen on the fiddlebacks (brown recluse) or the black widow's as I have kids and my son is partial to picking up any bugs he finds!

im just wondering as if this is a bold jumping spider it can bite and it will sting if it does!

Attachment 50369Attachment 50370

Regards,
    Gixer

long winded but i found you this lot feller but it looks like one:

www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/daring_jumping_spider.htm

The Daring Jumping Spider is one of the most common spiders in our area. It gets its name because of its amazing leaping ability. Male Daring Jumping Spiders ...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Phidippus audax

The jumping spiders, as a rule, are relatively small, compact hunting spiders. They have very good eyesight and can pounce on their victims from a great distance. Spiders in the genusPhidippus are the largest-bodied of the Salticids. Phidippus audax, the most commonly encountered jumping spider in and around Pennsylvania homes, is found from Canada and the Atlantic Coast states west to California.

Description

P. audax is a black, hairy spider measuring 8 to 19 millimeters for the females and 6 to 13 millimeters for the males. There is a pattern of white, yellow, or orange spots on the top of the abdomen (orange on the younger spiders), and the chelicerae frequently have an iridescent green hue. The males have “eyebrows,” or tufts of hairs over the eyes. Occasionally, white bands extend back from the rear pair of eyes. The eyes located at the center of the front end of the cephalothorax are by far the largest and aid the spiders in capturing prey.
    Medical Importance

The chances of being bitten by P. audax are slim to none. These spiders are difficult for collectors to catch, and they appear fearful of humans. Additionally, their habit of hunting during the daytime helps to reduce the number of human bites. Information concerning the effect of these bites is inconclusive, but they probably result in no more than a painful sting and the temporary appearance of an erythematic region.
    Authored by: Steve Jacobs, Sr. Extension Associate
    March 2002 Revised 2012

That looks like a match! Funny as she didn't jump at all when I moved her outside to the fence...interesting to know the bite can sting though!

thanks!

mind you size for size bet she was stunned to to see you as well watch out for the buggers that can give you a fang full feller happy xmas sleep tight lol

I am more inclined to think its Salticus scenicus

sure I can find a link

could be ? So here's the link The zebra spider (Salticus scenicus) is one of the most familiar of the British jumping spiders, and is often found on sunny house walls , also found in the usa The zebra spider (Salticus scenicus) is one of the most familiar of the British ... is also widespread throughout Europe, northern Asia and North America ,
    what ever it is , its a spider that needs the attention of a can hair spray to slow it down

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    could be ? So here's the link The zebra spider (Salticus scenicus) is one of the most familiar of the British jumping spiders, and is often found on sunny house walls , also found in the usa The zebra spider (Salticus scenicus) is one of the most familiar of the British ... is also widespread throughout Europe, northern Asia and North America ,
    what ever it is , its a spider that needs the attention of a can hair spray
    and a lighter to slow it down
    Agreed
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Generically we call all of those "jump spiders". They are much loved when you live on a farm. No matter how tight your screens, flies find a way into the kitchen. At night the flies all seem to prefer to roost on the ceiling -and it seems that those wonderful little jump spiders decimate roosting flies at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Generically we call all of those "jump spiders". They are much loved when you live on a farm. No matter how tight your screens, flies find a way into the kitchen. At night the flies all seem to prefer to roost on the ceiling -and it seems that those wonderful little jump spiders decimate roosting flies at night.

Absolutely, I don't kill them if they are the good ones, I was also told that some of these ones eat the recluse and widow spiders so they are definitely welcome!

Regards,
    Gixer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	there-was-a-spider-i-panicked.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	50389
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."