Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A book about foxes

A book about foxes

... Just had a thought, as have an Interest In shooting generally and particularly chasing foxes, with them being the most wary of quarry .... I was thinking of writing a book about It ... Simple stuff like habitat, biology, welfare, calling, lamping, ballistics etc ... But I could do with guidance on getting started ... A mentor even.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    My wife is an operations manager for a book publishing company.
    A while ago I broached the idea of writing a book on my experiences with Roe and the characters I have met. The response was chilly.
    So I'll tell you what she told me.
    1st you have to write it. (I can do that) Usually takes a year or two.
    2nd you have to find an editor that will edit it. (Got one of those)
    3rd you have to find someone to print it. (her boss owns a print works) but they are going to want paying. In publishing what you are proposing is called 'vanity publishing'. Also in publishing numbers count.The more you print the cheaper they become. They still have to set up the presses, make the printing plates, cut the paper, bind the copies in a machine and then send them to you. That costs plenty.
    4th If you want to put it on general sale you will have to find a distributor. To do that you have to send out free copies so as they can assess it and if they like it they may order some. They will expect a discount which can typically be 60-70%.

If you want to do it then do. Sincerely, good luck.

You may have a house full of books, that you may not be able to sell at the price you need just to recoup your costs. OR you may have a best seller that earns you loads of money and you can all take us out stalking for free. Hold on, got to go. I've just seen another one of those pesky elephants flying by. Got to go and shoo it off my golden apple tree.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

As I have been lucky enough to have known sparko for a good few years. I would think this is a very good idea for him to write a book on foxes. He has good knowledge of the foxes behaviour and habitats in our area. He also puts a good few on the ground when they are causing problems. He does his homework and has spent a lot of time in daylight observing them. But this is where are problem lies, with his fear of the dark. I personally think it maybe hard to write a book on foxes and the techniques in controlling them if you are too scared to go out after dark.

I'm usually involved with 4 or so significant vanity publications per year for the art world. Over the last year the budget has ranged from £10,000 to £100,000 & none of them have any expectation of recouping costs, let alone making a profit.

If I was doing it for myself as a first project I'd be designing or having it designed as a book & perhaps publishing on line through Issuu or similar & making hard copies available through Blurb or Lulu on a print to order basis should someone want a copy for their bookshelf. With a bit of thought & care you'll only have to produce one set of pdf's for both applications & the cost will be very modest (excluding design if outsourced). Don't expect to make any money out of this but rather think about how much you want to invest in it (& why).

Good luck,

J
    Last edited by McKenzie; 15-12-2014 at 20:47. Reason: missing zero

If I was going to buy a fox hunting or Naturalists book they would need to know all about foxes across the British isles. Just doing a bit of terrier work or lamping would not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    ... Just had a thought, as have an Interest In shooting generally and particularly chasing foxes, with them being the most wary of quarry .... I was thinking of writing a book about It ... Simple stuff like habitat, biology, welfare, calling, lamping, ballistics etc ... But I could do with guidance on getting started ... A mentor even.

Have a read through Robert Bucknells two books on Fox shooting I would imagine these contain the sort of thing you are contemplating writing about, I have spent time with him and what the man doesn't know about Foxes and their shooting just isn't worth knowing.

Like to wish you luck, a lot of people have written books based on Basil Brush and his cuddly friends but not too many have written a true sporting handbook type manual for budding Fox shooters, if you kept it straightforward and factual it should do well.

atb WB

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post
    Have a read through Robert Bucknells two books on Fox shooting I would imagine these contain the sort of thing you are contemplating writing about, I have spent time with him and what the man doesn't know about Foxes and their shooting just isn't worth knowing.

Like to wish you luck, a lot of people have written books based on Basil Brush and his cuddly friends but not too many have written a true sporting handbook type manual for budding Fox shooters, if you kept it straightforward and factual it should do well.

atb WB
    Robert Bucknell is an excellent example, he had to publish them himself as no one else would, Dr Patrick Hook (Paddy sp) faired better but he is an established author.

Paddy 's book seems worth listing!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    By yourself a copy of "Foxing with lamp and rifle" by Robert Bucknell, published 2001, ISBN 0-9540206-0-X, A4 162pp, about £32 new. I think he published that himself. It'll give you some idea of what's available.

-JMS

Hi, yes I have Robert Bucknells book and looked at the other ... Mike Powell came across well as someone who gets out there and does the job also... Realistically I am really looking to assemble a basic book that contains experiences of mine and others, combined with the topics In my OP, a mainstream book would be unrealistic at this time, so I will start off slowly and compile properly.

Thank you all for Input to date, leave It at that for now ... Cheers ... Mark