Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When good kit goes bad?

When good kit goes bad?

Having been shooting for over forty years i am dismayed by the way quality products are now simply crap. Took delivery of a Brady cartridge belt today and the comparison to the ones i have from years ago is frankly disgraceful. Here is my list!
    Brady
    Kammo
    Fjallraven
    Beretta
    Le Chameau wellies
    Almostunwearoutable socks
    Browning Jappy shotguns
    Barbour

Brace yourselves everyone - but.... er... I have to agree

Think RD has a point and there's quite a few additions to that list. Its hard not to form the suspicion that the marketing men, accountants and capital maximisation consultants et al have taken complete control and engineering, craftsmanship and pride a very distant back seat. Moreover that previous prestige names are being peddled to pass off tat.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Add karrimore to the list. They used to be OK for knocking about in and the rucksacks were quite good, absolute rubbish now.

I agree and would add that whilst the quality has gone down the cost has gone up.....considerably !

‎Cracking opportunity for all SD members given of a certain world-weariness to engage in some self indulgent therapy. So here's my nomination:

‎Brno metal finishing

K‎
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Add Berghaus to that list, my 250 so called breathable waterproof jacket & 100 waterproof trousers seem to need reproofing every other month, I never remember having to do this with their stuff years ago.

Can't disagree with much on that list. You've missed the obvious one; Butler Creek.

Nostalgia aint what it used to be.

I am still using my original cartridge belt and a pair of gloves bought 44 years ago neither of which have been well looked after. I wonder how many of todays young shooters stuff will do the same. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Having been shooting for over forty years i am dismayed by the way quality products are now simply crap. Took delivery of a Brady cartridge belt today and the comparison to the ones i have from years ago is frankly disgraceful. Here is my list!

Almostunwearoutable socks
    I can't comment on how they were made, but I bought several pairs based on one of your recent recommendation.......... now you tell me.

Le Chameau Mouflon plus boots, first pair lasted seven seasons. Second pair squeak and let in water.