Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking boots vs Wellies

Stalking boots vs Wellies

Just came back from a woodland stalk, I worse my Meindls and the guide had his wellies. We crossed streams, muddy fields and the usual gunk as we stomped around. I had to spend almost an hour to get my boots clean, can only imagine the guide gave his a quick hose down (if that) and put them away. Made me think the welly seemed a better choice for such stalks.
    Do others switch between the two depending on the terrain / weather ?

Im a big fan of wellies but recently bought some high legged walking boots to use for stalking.
    For the most part I will not go back to the rubbers. I much prefer the support of a good boot, and think that thats worth any time spent cleaning them.

Atb,
    Joe

High boots for hills & rough ground, wellies for flat & wet. I find I really appreciated the ankle support that boots give now when traversing steep slopes.

I'm a boot man really but I've put some hunter balmoral zipped wellies on my Xmas list and a box that size seems to have appeared under the tree so we will see how they perform whilst out stalking like you I've spent a lot of time cleaning boots
    norma

Muck Boots are all right on flat ground, but at all other times I much prefer high boots with gaiters.
    If you get the chance, hose the boots and gaiters while you are still wearing them, or stamp through puddles, or put them on again to hose them clean on another occasion.

Hose the dubs off while still soft, leave boots to dry naturally when possible, treat occasionally with decent wax, enjoy not having broken ankles. To be fair though, I have little choice, my metatarsals are too high to wear wellies comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    High boots for hills & rough ground, wellies for flat & wet. I find I really appreciated the ankle support that boots give now when traversing steep slopes.
    + one for that.
    Tusker

A good pair of wellies for the low stuff and Good boots for the hill.

I have le chameau high boots with a zip. I know they can have dubious quality but these have been brilliant, comfortable, warm supportive and a zip to open them. Been used and abused by me big time. Worn them for the last two years. Will be the sorriest man alive when they break.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    A good pair of wellies for the low stuff and Good boots for the hill.
    My usual too, although if I'm stalking somewhere I've not been before I take both and look to see what the Stalker/keeper/host is wearing !