Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jagdterrier

Jagdterrier

Hi,
    I have just got new dog, German terrier. I wonder if anybody have any experience with this breed.
    Cheers,
    Dawid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150136.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	499.6 KB 
ID:	50417
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141121_164457.jpg  
    Last edited by Roch; 18-12-2014 at 09:38.

He looks a belter good luck with him

Quote Originally Posted by Roch View Post
    Hi,
    I have just got new dog, German terrier. I wonder if anybody have any experience with this breed.
    Cheers,
    Dawid

Name:	20141121_164457.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	563.5 KB 
ID:	50416

Name:	P1150136.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	499.6 KB 
ID:	50417
    I have gone in on a follow up on a boar a few years ago in Germany. We followed the dog on a hot trail through thick undergrowth. It took us straight to the dead boar.

I have also seen them used on driven hunts. I was placed with 50 yards of patch of brambles. I had been there for 2 hours and seen no boar. 2 of the said terriers were running loose, they almost ran straight passed the thick cover. They then turned and went straight in, the next thing I saw was a big black boar!!! As it was stood partially in the brambles I could not see what sex it was, so I refrained from shooting. It then was driven off by the dogs..... in the wrong bloody direction and over the hill to the guns placed on the other side!! Just as it was departing I caught a sight of his "crown jewels" and confirmed it was indeed a big male!!

He still lived to fight another day, no one shot him so he must have shook off the dogs and got into some more cover and not pushed again that day!!

He looks good.

Don't know anything about this breed, but have had others are these's a surface terrier so not likely to dive down every fox hole they come across if they are free running
    I hope you have a good sense of hummer as owning a terrier you need one

good luck and keep us posted

Had one years ago good on wild boar and foxes. As with most terriers need to show him who is the boss.

Know very little about them but think they're great wee dogs. I really fancy one myself although when I mentioned this to a German friend on a driven hunt he laughed and said "they cause their owners more problems than the boar"..... Right on que two of them started scrapping big style.

Still hasn't put me off, I quite like their attitude and to be fair they appear to have no fear whatsoever.

Who did you get it from out of interest, was it local - as in Scotland, as I know a lad with one which he had been speaking about breeding but didn't know if he had gone ahead with it?
    Last edited by Mick9abf; 17-12-2014 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick9abf View Post
    Know very little about them but think they're great wee dogs. I really fancy one myself although when I mentioned this to a German friend on a driven hunt he laughed and said "they cause their owners more problems than the boar"..... Right on que two of them started scrapping big style.

Still hasn't put me off, I quite like their attitude and to be fair they appear to have no fear whatsoever.

Who did you get it from out of interest, was it local - as in Scotland, as I know a lad with one which he had been speaking about breeding but didn't know if he had gone ahead with it?
    I got it from POLAND for 200 from top pedigree kennel. The bigger jagdterriers (39cm) are used for wild boar, blood tracking and even for retrieving. smaller ones are used more for under ground work foxes, badgers. In Russia they use them for Bears
    That's mine first terrier we will see what will happen.
    Last edited by Roch; 18-12-2014 at 06:41.

Seen lots of jagdterriers working Boar in Germany and France, but to me the Bear in the u tube clip looked to be tethered.
    Very disappointed that this is shown on this site.

Very good, pleasant and usefull dogs, but VERY hard. Also used for tracking wounded game. Can be very self desctructive on badger, so be carefull.