Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little niggle post formats

Question Little niggle post formats

Taking a lead from Finnbears thread titled little niggle word usage.

Does any one else find those posts that use text style abbreviations and formatting irritating? I know I most certainly do, and I am sure I am not alone. I tend to view their usage in a forum post as a sign of idleness, and intellectual laziness. I have found that regardless of what the poster might have to say, I simply skip over the post and ignore it. Does anyone else do that?

The English language in its written form has certain long standing, and well established means of sentence construction, punctuation and formatting.

Sentence's always start with a capital letter and end in either a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark. Sentences are punctuated by the use of comma's, semicolons,and colons. Those sentences are used to construct paragraphs. Paragraphs are separated by single or double line gaps if using type etc. I'm sure you all get where we're heading.

I know some people that find the use of smilies and other em-icons irritating.

What aspect of other peoples posts do you find annoying? Apart from their murdering of the english language.
    Last edited by Slamdunk; 11-03-2010 at 19:28.

Emoti thingies can be an asset when not being face to face in a discussion, as a large part of the english language & many others involves the use of facial expression / s, as I'm sure you are aware, anyway I was quite used to being told to stay behind after school........................when I was there!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have to agree, yet feel i must comment. The use of the apostrophe can be a tricky one. The biblican quote about telling someone they have a spec in their eye when you have a log in yours..... cryptic i know.

Slamdunk - 4th paragraph first word should be Sentences. The apostrophe is normally used to indicate the possesive.

Yes, I am a pedant and I have OCD. Hurrah for promoting the correct use of the English language though. sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdunk View Post
    Sentence's... comma's...

What aspect of other peoples posts do you find annoying?
    ...the use of the apostrophe possessive where a plural is required.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'll eat, shoot and leave...
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Guys

I never claimed to be perfect.

I simply said, I found those that didn't, or wouldn't, make the effort to at least attempt to post in a reasonably intelligent and accepted manner, to be not worth the bother of reading.

You know folks, not everybody are as up themselves about the English language as you all seem to be

As long as the posts are polite, funny,helpfull,a moan or whatever, does it really matter.

Get a life

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdunk View Post
    Guys

I never claimed to be perfect.

I simply said, I found those that didn't, or wouldn't, make the effort to at least attempt to post in a reasonably intelligent and accepted manner, to be not worth the bother of reading.
    Rehabilitation is complete, use of the smiley as evidence!!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Emoti thingies can be an asset when not being face to face in a discussion, as a large part of the english language & many others involves the use of facial expression / s, as I'm sure you are aware, anyway I was quite used to being told to stay behind after school........................when I was there!
    Personally, I don't mind their usage in moderation. Its when you get people using them every second word or at the end of every mundane ill composed and ill formatted sentence that I find myself skipping to the next post or next thread.

Nothing is more curious than the almost savage hostility that humor excites in those who lack it. ~ George Saintsbury

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes. ~ William Davis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_&_Leaves

No offence intended, as I believe Jinga and I both made clear.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Iwrch and Max, too many smilies? over to you, where did you find them, I can''t, opps, J.F.