Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smartass Rat!

Smartass Rat!

Due to having chickens and breeding quail, I usually get a rat or two coming in around the sheds for the winter. I can usually sort them out using live traps, snap traps and the air rifle with the green light. I cannot use poison.

I have one this year however that is evading all the usual methods. It can see the green light, it avoids the live trap, and when I set the snappy ones it actually kicks dirt and stuff on to the trap to spring it then it takes the bait!!!!

It also killed the few quail I had planned to over-winter.

I have never seen this before and am at a loss as to how to get the bugger.

Any tips/advice gratefully received!

Mike

Soak some dog biscuits liberally with alcohol, get the bu**er pissed then use the air rifle.
    Never tried it but it's a plan.
    Don't use the best whisky.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I have ferrets but dont want them in under the big shed where i assume it lays up in daytime. It only heads under the small quail shed at some point during the night.

Gonna set the trail cam again to get an idea of what its up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallascorban View Post
    Get a farm cat.
    Last edited by Mickeydredd; 17-12-2014 at 12:58.

Is there any way you can smoke it out and have a couple of terriers ready in case there are more

not from under the main sheds they seem to be living under, not enough room around them. My dogs would certainly have a go I'm sure if I had the room.

I killed 9 the first year and only saw and killed one last year. no signs of a colony as such this year yet, but keen to sort this mutha out before any breeding!

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Is there any way you can smoke it out and have a couple of terriers ready in case there are more

Ive just started using baited glue pads, its a pad around 6"x10" thats been inpregnated with a flavour and the rat/mouse goes onto the pad to eat or cross it and it sticks to the glue, and believe me they cant get off.

used them with success before, but a robin got on one recently so not prepared to risk non-target stuff getting on them again. I cant totally secure the shed as the rat has chewed holes thru floor and walls!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner223 View Post
    Ive just started using baited glue pads, its a pad around 6"x10" thats been inpregnated with a flavour and the rat/mouse goes onto the pad to eat or cross it and it sticks to the glue, and believe me they cant get off.

Try a baited block end tunnel under shed with Fenn. If it's getting through a hole in floor make it more attractive with tunnel & trap leading to it. if you have a cage trap with separate back compartment put a quail in it under the shed but make sure the rat can only see it from the entrance and can't reach it.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

I would set a few snap traps and a cage trap and leave set with hook on for a week then slip the hooks and door springs they will get caught.