Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Vision

Night Vision

hey folks,

Sorry if this subject has been discussed a million times before but I am new to the site.

I was looking to do some shooting at night, thus the need for a NV Scope.. So far I am thinking Pulsar N750. Am I on the right track or should I be considering something else?

Thanks in advanced for all your advise.

M

If you need a car what would you buy?
    Seriously your question has just no info to help us guess. Short answer, yes, it will work. But as we don't know what you intend to shoot, distance, rifle, dedicated, add on. Location, light pollution,

Give us us a clue and we might be able to help.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

+ Whats your budget ?

I made myself one of those add on NV sets but don't like it - I still need to spot things before aiming at them and a rifle mounted NV seems a rubbish way to watch over a wider area. I'm building a remote control fox caller and maybe NV will be useful if I can bring the quarry into a reasonably tight area. I'll be interested to hear other peoples experience.
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    I made myself one of those add on NV sets but don't like it - I still need to spot things before aiming at them and a rifle mounted NV seems a rubbish way to watch over a wider area. I'm building a remote control fox caller and maybe NV will be useful if I can bring the quarry into a reasonably tight area. I'll be interested to hear other peoples experience.
    GH
    Build a spotter as well then, that's the best way.

You need a spotter, you cant just wave the gun around , i use a ps22 as a spotter not the best but works very well and then finish the job off with a Starlight longbow this system works a treat.

Between me and my shooting buddy we have varying levels of NV kit but I still prefer to call and spot with a lamp, then when we pick up eye shine move onto the NV that's mounted on the rifles. No waving around as you have a good idea where it is and can easily be followed through the scope before taking the shot.

My buddy now has 2 photons with doublers and IR torches (T20 and Nightmaster) that he shoots foxes out to 200 yards with and we both have gen 3 spotters that can be used as add ons. The kit ranges from around 400 2nd hand for the photon and doubler, between 50 and 150 for the IR torches and around 2000 for the gen 3 spotters/add ons. All very effective in their own right,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Between me and my shooting buddy we have varying levels of NV kit but I still prefer to call and spot with a lamp, then when we pick up eye shine move onto the NV that's mounted on the rifles. No waving around as you have a good idea where it is and can easily be followed through the scope before taking the shot.

My buddy now has 2 photons with doublers and IR torches (T20 and Nightmaster) that he shoots foxes out to 200 yards with and we both have gen 3 spotters that can be used as add ons. The kit ranges from around 400 2nd hand for the photon and doubler, between 50 and 150 for the IR torches and around 2000 for the gen 3 spotters/add ons. All very effective in their own right,

Stratts
    Don't suppose you know where he got the doubler from by any chance? I'm after one.

Hi, I have a Pulsar HD50S thermal and bought a Gen 3 Pinnacle pvs-14 add on which was great. I have just sold the pvs-14 and now have the new Drone Pro digital and an XSearcher IR and all I can say is WOW! What a unit, as far as I am concerned this unit is better than the pvs-14 which incidently is regarded as about the best Gen 3 add on available but the Drone Pro 10x are in a different league to the N550's and the N750's, the new ones like mine are now colour during the day too. Give Carl Moore a ring and get a Drone pro 10x. I Have Shot 37 Foxes in under a month only going out for around 2 hours at a time around work commitments.
    Last edited by RPA 6MM BR; 18-12-2014 at 20:12.

Having used a fair bit of this kit on my fox shooting forays I would always look at thermal first then shoot with a lamp or torch. The surprise element is a killer! Pardon the pun.. Back to NV my advice would be the photo xt or if your budget could be stretched a drone pro
    atb Steve