Thread: Self Build, a couple of questions.

Question Self Build, a couple of questions.

Hello All,

Ive been looking into getting a custom rifle for a while, Im thinkig built on a Remington action, though im open to ideas, though it must be a floorplate. The prime candidate at the moment is the Remington 700 SPS Stainless. I would like to put a HS Precision Thumbhole stock on it the PSS046- but have never seen any in the UK, are they availible? And if so at what price?

Im also thinking of getting a Timney trigger, I looked at the Jewell but I'de rather go for the robustness, and plus its a stalking gun-so a 1/4lb trigger pull is not really vital. Where's the best place to get one?

Does that sound reasonable for someone with no training to do? And how difficult would it be?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam

What you have planned is easily achieve by a person who is capable of changing a plug on an electrical appliance. Are you someone that can change a plug?

The last time I looked Viking Arms were the UK importers of HS stocks, and South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies should be able to sort you out with your Timney trigger. You might want to consider a Rifle Basix set up as opposed to the Timney.

I rekon plugs are within my grasp-just . Thanks for the advice, I'll check out your leads.

Sam

Sam

whilst the "plug changing" analogy stands, you must be careful.

Viking are the UK importers, but they are trade only.

The Rem 700 SPS is the cheapest of the "700"s, it will benefit greatly from a replacement stock.

There are numerous 2nd hand HS Precision stocks out there for sale circa 150 GBP, a new one will be circa 350 GBP

If you do decide to change the trigger and opt for the Rifle Basixs as suggested make sure you use the supplied cross pins, they are slightly undersize if you use the standard (supplied with the rem 700) pins the trigger will not function properly (the sear will stick)

Manners and Mcmillan also make thumbhole stocks if you like composite.

Boyds and Russo make thumbhole laminates if that takes your fancy.

I got a Richards Microfit stock a while ago as I like a thumb hole stock too. I didn't do any of the work, Cromarty Guns pillar bedded it and finished it off. Not cheap, but I liked the results.

http://rifle-stocks.com/

Viking may be trade only, but when we called a couple of years ago, to buy a shotgun they were happy to sell one to my mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hello All,

Ive been looking into getting a custom rifle for a while, Im thinkig built on a Remington action, though im open to ideas, though it must be a floorplate. The prime candidate at the moment is the Remington 700 SPS Stainless. I would like to put a HS Precision Thumbhole stock on it the PSS046- but have never seen any in the UK, are they availible? And if so at what price?

Im also thinking of getting a Timney trigger, I looked at the Jewell but I'de rather go for the robustness, and plus its a stalking gun-so a 1/4lb trigger pull is not really vital. Where's the best place to get one?

Does that sound reasonable for someone with no training to do? And how difficult would it be?

Thanks,

Sam
    Is it a custom rifle that you want or to customise a factory stick.

If you're going to buy a remington 700sps and stick a new stock and trigger on it without changing the barrel or bedding job, bluprinting etc... then you might aswell just buy a higher spec factory remington like the LTR or sendero which have better stocks and triggers anyway.

If you want a trigger for a remmington then it has to be a Jewel trigger, they are the best there is but, CG are also good.

Personally I think you would be wise to buy a cheap stainless rem 700 just for the action.

Have the action blueprinted, get a new Walther, Bartlien, Pacnor barrel fitted. add your HS stock and have the action pillar bedded into it, have a new bolt knob fitted and you have a nice outfit.

ATB
    Moses