Thread: X Trail towbar kits online

X Trail towbar kits online

Hi chaps,
    Anyone bought any of the various towbar kits you can get online for an X Trail? I need to fit one but am a bit unsure about the quality of the ones I've seen for around the £90 mark,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

not an xtrail but got a witter one for my astra estate cant fault the build quality of the witter ones at all stratts 110 quid for the kit and a 7 way relay was a tenner.you need the relay to stop your canbus going doolally .also had one on my last car a volvo s60 and that towed a caravan round cornwall 3 years running without dropping off atb iain

Ok thanks mate I'll check em out
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

We have an after market trailer n tow bar place here , fraction of the price of the manufacturers prices & last was a witter. Can't fault it
    Paul

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I had an Xtrail that I fitted a towbar to. Here's what you have to do.
    You will have to remove the bumper (easy enough).
    The towbar will then slide into the chassis and have to be bolted up.
    Then you fit the electrics. I had a dedicated kit that used proper fittings and it makes things a lot easier plus you will not have to chop your wiring loom to pieces.(recommended). The real PITA is fitting the earth wire but standing looking at the boot behind the panel on your upper LHS is a common earth point. The wiring will require removal of panels in the boot area.
    Put all the panels back together after you have checked everything works (recommended)
    You will have to remove a small square of plastic from the bumper to clear the towbar fitting.
    Put bumper back on.

All modern towbars must have a flat top to the ball and stamped into this will be a BS number or ISO number. It's the law. Things have changed rrecently regarding towbars so make sure you check them out.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Witter are long standing and well renowned for their quality have had several for caravan towing. If doing it yourself make sure you use all the bolts into all the anchorage's provided. There are people who did not use all the correct anchor points and fell foul of the vehicle examiner after an accident. Tom