Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun barrel shortening/slugs

Shotgun barrel shortening/slugs

I'm pretty comfortable with the law on this but always worth checking out before speaking to my FEO.

What I know to be fact:
    - Double barrelled shotguns (and others) have no minimum overall length but do have a minimum barrel length of 24" on a section 2.
    - Shotgun slugs are a section 1 slot

Nothing in the guidelines (that I can see) says that I can't shorten my shotgun barrels to whatever length I want, so long as they are above 24". My local RFD says otherwise, that it must be done by an RFD and only if the barrels are damaged on the section to be removed.
    I think he is confusing this with another piece of guidance.
    Any takers on this? Just so I have a rounded interpretation for when I speak to the FLO.

On to the second point. I would require a section 1 slot if I desired to fire bore diameter round balls in my shotgun. These would count as slugs and would be for target use only. Due to the nature of the shotgun it wouldn't be useable in practical shotgun and wouldn't be eligible for any target competition due to no class that I am aware of. Therefore, how would I justify it? It would be for fun and 'competitions' at my club in the 'everything else which doesn't fit in a group' group.

Any input appreciated. As I've said, it's just so I have a more rational chat with the FLO. Rather than usually when I quote HO guidelines which can get their backs up. Which i'd rather avoid.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I'm pretty comfortable with the law on this but always worth checking out before speaking to my FEO.

What I know to be fact:
    - Double barrelled shotguns (and others) have no minimum overall length but do have a minimum barrel length of 24" on a section 2.
    - Shotgun slugs are a section 1 slot

Nothing in the guidelines (that I can see) says that I can't shorten my shotgun barrels to whatever length I want, so long as they are above 24". My local RFD says otherwise, that it must be done by an RFD and only if the barrels are damaged on the section to be removed.
    I think he is confusing this with another piece of guidance.
    Any takers on this? Just so I have a rounded interpretation for when I speak to the FLO.

On to the second point. I would require a section 1 slot if I desired to fire bore diameter round balls in my shotgun. These would count as slugs and would be for target use only. Due to the nature of the shotgun it wouldn't be useable in practical shotgun and wouldn't be eligible for any target competition due to no class that I am aware of. Therefore, how would I justify it? It would be for fun and 'competitions' at my club in the 'everything else which doesn't fit in a group' group.

Any input appreciated. As I've said, it's just so I have a more rational chat with the FLO. Rather than usually when I quote HO guidelines which can get their backs up. Which i'd rather avoid.

Thanks in advance

I assume that in Cornwall you have a canoe and no paddle?

I think you should be looking at Criminal Law, not Firearms Law, with regard to smoothbore shortening

Stan

Would imagine it is quite unusual to shorten a shot gun barrell due to the choking etc. I know i'm opening up a hornets nest here but would that affect the proof? Never heard of it with shotguns and if ur never gong to resale the gun might not be an issue

I would imagine u will need a 'good reason to posses' the solid slugs and wether or not fun is enough as u rightly said.
    I also thought the length was 24 1/2 " barrells, but think if u get ur shotgun listed as S1 there is no minimum length?

Be worth phoning BASC etc

Hahahaha

All jokes aside, you can cut and thread your own rifle if you so wish as its your responsibility to ensure that its legal. If it's not its section 5 and you will (and should be) punished accordingly.
    Why should it be different with smooth bores just because it used to be popular in post office visits? Or is this another example of the people writing the laws not really understanding what they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Would imagine it is quite unusual to shorten a shot gun barrell due to the choking etc. I know i'm opening up a hornets nest here but would that affect the proof? Never heard of it with shotguns and if ur never gong to resale the gun might not be an issue

I would imagine u will need a 'good reason to posses' the solid slugs and wether or not fun is enough as u rightly said.
    I also thought the length was 24 1/2 " barrells, but think if u get ur shotgun listed as S1 there is no minimum length?

Be worth phoning BASC etc

Raised a a couple good points there mate.
    Shortening a rifle doesn't require reproof (just threading, arguably) so a shotgun shouldn't either. As for getting rid of the chokes, that's no bad thing with slugs.

I've just had a gander at the guidelines and it is indeed 24" but I'd go 25" anyway so that there is no doubt.

I'd probably hunt with it abroad so that'd help towards the justification, in the same way people get .458 win mags for zeroing with the plans to go abroad after big stuff. It'd be a poor mans double rifle

I have 12g and .410 slug,a 24inch barreled semi auto 12g and a .22/.410 combination gun with 16inch barrel.

In my experience 24 inch is plenty short enough for slug.....

12g slug for boar,.410 slug for fox.......

Go big or go home eh mate!

That is another good option like. I don't have to stick to round balls. I could go to proper slugs if I so wished.

Go big or go home eh mate!

That is another good option like. I don't have to stick to round balls. I could go to proper slugs if I so wished.

Canoe and TWO paddles!!!!

I'll take port, you take starboard. I knew there was a reason I fit in in Cornwall!

As far as I know sec1 or 2 is 24" minimum, that's what my Benelli M2, Beretta 1301 and Bora 99 all are. I have solid slug on mine but that's for PSG comps. I believe you can get solid slug put on for Deer dispatch under certain circumstances but as usual you will need to prove why you want it but I don't think FUN is an acceptable reason

Also with sec1 you need to keep within the 40 something inch overall length but not sure on sec2.

It doesn't show on license what the barrel length is so unless it says otherwise as long as you stay within the length laws I would think you should be ok.

I'm sure your flo will give you the correct advice if you ask nicely.

Also there must be different laws for double rifles as gun mart had a double a couple of issues ago with one barrel being a .410 shotgun and the other I think was .22 yet the barrel was only 20"?

I'll take port, you take starboard. I knew there was a reason I fit in in Cornwall!
    Always on the look out for an outboard too!!!