Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .223 Rem & 6.5 x 55 Swede with H4895 or another shared powder

Reloading .223 Rem & 6.5 x 55 Swede with H4895 or another shared powder

I am just getting started in reloading and so far have only loaded the .22 hornet with the load data that came with the rifle with good results.

I have now got the kit together to load my .223 Rem and 6.5 x 55 swede, the .223 will primarily be for target work with 52 gr SMKs / A-max with the odd fox / long range rabbit. I would like to develop 2 loads for the 6.5, a 140 grain SP for deer and 142gr HPBT for target work.

I realise they are very different cartridges and therefore ideally require different powder burn rates but if I can use one powder for both I can get loading the 6.5 quicker and from a safety point of view there is no chance of mixing powders when loading, plus there is a good supply locally.

I was initially looking at H335 for the .223 but looking at the data on the Hodgdon site H4895 will give similar velocities for the .223.

If anyone has experience with similar loads or load both these calibres with the same powder I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

Thanks

Interesting problem - I am looking at .308 and 6.5 x 55 myself.
    I would have thought 6.5 and .223 would be beyond the ability of a single powder - but see below.
    I'm looking at Vihtavuori N150 driving 140grn in the swede and 168grn in the .308, but N150 does not show in .223 until you are using a 90grn head.
    N140 and N135 overlap the 6.5 swede and .223 according to the Vihtavuori load tables.
    Also remember, just because a load is shown in the load tables as safe, it may not be accurate in your gun.
    Should be interesting to see where you end up.
    Last edited by dexter_morgan; 18-12-2014 at 17:28.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter_morgan View Post
    Interesting problem - I am looking at .308 and 6.5 x 55 myself.
    I would have thought 6.5 and .223 would be beyond the ability of a single powder - but see below.
    I'm looking at Vihtavuori N150 driving 140grn in the swede and 168grn in the .308, but N150 does not show in .223 until you are using a 90grn head.
    N140 and N135 overlap the 6.5 swede and .223 according to the Vihtavuori load tables.
    Also remember, just because a load is shown in the load tables as safe, it may not be accurate in your gun.
    Should be interesting to see where you end up.
    And there's the rub, I'm guessing with .308 and the swede being fairly similar cartridges finding a powder will be easier. To be honest I think I'll end up sticking with something like the H335 for the .223 and get Christmas a couple of months behind me and get some N160 for the 6.5. No point in chasing my tail accuracy wise because I've compromised on powders.

As you are starting from square one - I'd recommend two different powders - each optimized for the calibre. Each one easily obtainable - possibly European manufacture like Reload Swiss or Vihtavuori as they haven't turned into unobtanium like the American stuff. Continuity of supply is important to avoid needing to rework loads if you have to change.
    Choose each powder by looking at reloading manuals & choose a middle of functionality range powder.
    Stretching the limits by using one powder for two chamberings that ideally require different burning rate powders means that you do neither in an optimum fashion.

Ian

I run my .223 on Benchmark, this is for 55grn VMax / Nosler BTs. I've heard good things about Ramshot TAC for .223 as well.

52gr Amax and benchmark are a very good combination. I have loaded TAC in both 308 and 223 with good results but the 6.5 prefers slower powders, N150/Ramshot Hunter being about the quickest. Think you will struggle with one powder for 223 and 6.5. If you buy two different powders and they are packaged differently in different shaped boxes then it will make confusion less likely. Benchmark is in round tub like packages and Vit is in square packages for instance. Also only load one calibre at a time and clean the bench between loadings will make mistakes very unlikely.

BE

If you're starting with a clean sheet approach you might consider IMR 4895 for both. I've tried this in .223, but not in my 6.5 SE.

There are .223 and 6.5 140gr loads for this in the Speer #14, and much more load data around for the IMR powders generally.

I haven't used Hodgdon powders much, mainly out of prejudice against double-based powders, and because they're so fine and dust-like ... but that's just me. It's also easier for me to relate the single-base extruded IMR powders to the similar Vit series when supply of one or t'other dries up.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    If you're starting with a clean sheet approach you might consider IMR 4895 for both. I've tried this in .223, but not in my 6.5 SE.

There are .223 and 6.5 140gr loads for this in the Speer #14, and much more load data around for the IMR powders generally.

I haven't used Hodgdon powders much, mainly out of prejudice against double-based powders, and because they're so fine and dust-like ... but that's just me. It's also easier for me to relate the single-base extruded IMR powders to the similar Vit series when supply of one or t'other dries up.
    Thanks. Thats interesting as I was looking in my lyman manual earlier and the accuracy load for 140gr 6.5 SMKs was the starting load for the IMR 4895. What weight bullet are you working with out of interest?
    Last edited by Boydy47; 18-12-2014 at 23:16.

i use vihta vhouri N133 in my .223
    i follow the the data on the lapua website. have used it for few years with good results.

Iuse N133 for my 223, and my 6.5 i use Reloader 17 with 120g nosler bts with very good results