Rifle bedding

ezzy6.5

Hi all,

I have a tikka 595 that i've owned for years. about 5 years ago i had it shortened and recrowned and bedded.
This rifle has always shot tiny little groups but it's been going down hill a bit over the last few months.
Last night i decided to strip it down, clean it and check the bedding.
considering that this rifle was profesionaly bedded, i have never seen anything like it.
The actual bedding is only on the bottom of the Tang at the back and at the front they have stuck the Aluminum bedding block into the stock and the epoxy is all over the face between the block and the reciever.
they have relieved the area around the Magazine well, if i can get a picture of it i'll post it, but i can only imagine they used a chisel or a stanley knife to remove the wood. it's awfull. now i've got to grind out all the old epoxy, clean up the stock and start all over.
If you saw it you would never believe it would shoot at all.

Cowboys.
Ezzy.

Ezzy,

What are you expecting?

Basically bedding IS just pressing into a setting agent....

Causes a lot of displacement, which adds "slpurge" but firms up, FIRMLY ;) It's where it doesn't touch NOW that matters.

Experience is spending a lot of time, and money, finding out how not to do it...

Stan

Ezzy,

What are you expecting?

Causes a lot of displacement, which adds "slpurge" but firms up, FIRMLY ;) It's where it doesn't touch NOW that matters.

Experience is spending a lot of time, and money, finding out how not to do it...

Stan

Hmmm bedding if done properly does not need any synthetic or plastic filler. Bedding if done correctly is a properly dried and seasoned wood stock is where the bed of the inletting is cut true and smooth for the action to "bed into" and often a small pad to bed the barrel is left just back from the tip of the fore stock. It is not:-

Now if you want someone to bed the rifle correctly may I suggest you contact Bob Harvey 01827 383026. His place is in Garlands Yard..... Garlands the Gunshop that is.

I submit that while the people who bedded it might have made it a little neater, it is not the bedding that is causing your accuracy to deteriorate. Whatever these people did, worked. Before you do something you'll regret you might want to rework components or the like. JMHO. of course.~Muir

Muir,
I absolutely agree with your opinion, the bedding wont have changed since it was shooting well. I have given it a really good clean from nose to tail.
Unfortunately i cannot leave it like it is, it's just not in my nature. Seriously you should see it.
I have ordered some Devcon 10110 today direct from the distributer. while i wait for it to arrive i'll clean up the area around the mag well and try and remove the front recoil lug that is glued into the stock and raise a couple of dents that have occured over the last few years.
If it was a heavy recoiling calibre i'd be looking for a replacement stock (although i'd be out of luck as it's a left handed action)
I should have done it myself in the first place but but it was being worked on and i though it was the easy option to have it done at the same time.

Ezzy

Hi Ezzy,

I feel your pain! Im thinking of having my rifle bedded. I reckon I could carry out the job and make a "functional" job of it. I will probably pay to have someone do it professionally....which should mean functional and well presented. I'd take it back to him..5 years or not.

Good luck...a fellow lefty

Last edited:
I can't take it back as the guy has left long ago.
I will bed it myself this time and i'll tidy up the magazine well at the same time. I was fortunate enough to be given a lesson on how to bed a rifle correctly by one of the best gunsmiths out there so i'm fairly confident.
just got to find somewhere to buy plastacine....

Ezzy

I can't take it back as the guy has left long ago.
I will bed it myself this time and i'll tidy up the magazine well at the same time. I was fortunate enough to be given a lesson on how to bed a rifle correctly by one of the best gunsmiths out there so i'm fairly confident.
just got to find somewhere to buy plastacine....

Ezzy

It might sound daft but try the art shop for your plasticine ;) that's where I got mine from.

I guess I can see that. I tell you though, many years back I put together a "bargain" 308. I bought a BRNO Mauser 98 action that was fully sporterized at a gunshow for $55. The gunsmith I was doing barrel work for had some Israeli 308 barrels made by FN that I purchased for $35 and headspaced, and lastly, I bought a stock from an old commercial FN Mauser for 5$ US. The stock had been bedded for the action that was in it previously but as it was also a Mauser, and I really wanted to shoot this 308, I slapped the barreled action in and tightened her down. My first 5 shots went into .416" at 100M. My successive groups did the same trick. I should have rebedded it for this barreled action but I didn't, and haven't yet. I'm not risking anything that 308 is offering! ~Muir

Back