Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC 2 Training gaps, reading material needed

DSC 2 Training gaps, reading material needed

Hello

Seasons greetings.

I have completed my Level 1 now moved on to level 2. I have a few good stalks under my belt so far, however the time in-between stalks can be quite lengthy. I have the BDS DVD which i do watch, however its more the Gralloch inspection naming the Lymph nodes ect that I struggle with.
    I feel i am constantly chasing my tail with skill fade.
    Can anyone recommend some good books to keep things fresh in the mind, i have the best practice manual but after a slightly easier read lol.

All the best.

Joe

Try the Deer Initiative Best Practice Guides http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/, I found assisting with gralloching on a commercial deer park cull really useful practical experience as well.

atb Tim

Cheers Tim. Got the best practice guide just trying to find something a bit lighter to read lol.
    No substitute for getting out I know.
    cheers

Joe

Have you got a copy of the BDS Field Guide to Disease ? It contains useful info for DSC2 and plenty of good colour photos.

atb Tim

You don't have to name them, just be able to find/identify them is sufficient.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    You don't have to name them, just be able to find/identify them is sufficient.
    MS
    Surely to properly identify them you need to know what one is what. . . i.e. know their names and location?

Location isn't an issue, naming them correctly is.

When you first open the deer up, your faced with a MESS of guts. .Mesenteric chain.

Moving​ on to the liver, what goes with a nice plate of liver, a glass of port of course. . . Portal node.

Bronchitis. . Cough cough. . . Windpipe / Trachea. . .Bronchial nodes.

Behind the pharyngeal. . . . Retro Pharyngeal.

Bottle of medicine. . Mediastinal node.

Not exhaustive, but you get the jist

Different people remember and recall things in different ways, I do it by visual association.
    I associate an imaginary picture with the thing I want to remember, if you have the same form of learning it will work for you as well.

In years past I had to remember an obscene amount of information and legislation, that's the way I done it.
    Some people it works for some people it dosnt, but maybe worth a bash.

In terms of L2 I think you should be able to locate and name the main lymph nodes, it shows a level of professionalism. . . and at any time should you have to contact a vet about an abnormality you will be able to describe exactly what the issue is, not a lump in the big red thingymaboab, behind the guts under its back, behind the front legs but in front of it's arse

If you want to discuss L2 before taking the plunge feel free to drop me a PM.

Last edited by Cadex; 20-12-2014 at 11:34.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Joe

Lots of good advice above.

Personally I learned them by rote, working my way through the lymph nodes from front to back.

In addition to Cadex's list don't forget the sub-maxillary. Easy for me to remember as I have a friend who is a maxillofacial surgeon - maxillo = face, sub = under, under your face is your jaw.

You may find this document useful as well - it's well put together with good photos and clear explanations : http://www.deerstalking-uk.com/PDFS/...20GRALLOCH.pdf

I am only 10 miles from Swindon, so if I can be of any help feel free to drop me a PM.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    joe

lots of good advice above.

Personally i learned them by rote, working my way through the lymph nodes from front to back.

In addition to cadex's list don't forget the sub-maxillary. Easy for me to remember as i have a friend who is a maxillofacial surgeon - maxillo = face, sub = under, under your face is your jaw.

You may find this document useful as well - it's well put together with good photos and clear explanations : http://www.deerstalking-uk.com/pdfs/...20gralloch.pdf

i am only 10 miles from swindon, so if i can be of any help feel free to drop me a pm.
    +1
    Last edited by Cadex; 20-12-2014 at 11:55.