Condensation in the fridge / Chiller

joe6r

Hello

I picked up a large fridge early in the month but I seem to get a fair bit of condensation / moisture in the fridge, it is a commercial unit, my question is even if the moisture level is quite high will the meat be fit for consumption as long as the temp is kept low?

I normally leave the deer hanging for 5-7 days before butchering.

Short of trying out the moisture trap blocks Im a bit stuck.

Cheers

Joe

Is the condensation caused after you hang warm carcasses? Is it a cold drinks fridge. Sounds like poor air circulation and hot beasts.

Not really. More when in use. Just want to know if it's common and more importantly safe.

Joe

Might sound silly but I have had it before ina domestic fridge. Has it a light? In so is it staying on when door is shut? My work place fridge was given to me as knacked. All I did was take the bulb out. It was still going strong eight years later when I left?

Was once told to chuck a tray of sawdust in the bottom, the sort you find in pet shops for bedding, seems to work in absorbing moisture and also and blood - chuck it in the bin/fire after use and nice clean chiller :)

This is a handy gadget...

TIMEX DIGITAL IN/ OUTDOOR THERMOMETER HYGROMETER, CLOCK: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Looks like it is out of stock at the moment but you may be able to source something similar.

A long lead goes to a thermocouple which you can put inside the chiller but if you put the whole unit in it will give you the humidity.
You can check the humidity in the outside environment first, then put it in the chiller for a comparison.
A good feature of it is that it will give you min and max readings so you can see how the chiller is cycling.
That can be good to know as you don't want the temp to go too high.

If the moisture is coming from the carcass then yes, it's pretty normal. You'll normally lose a pound or two of moisture from a carcass over the course of hanging in a chiller.

You don't want a new fangled frost free type fridge because it will dry the meat out much quicker. So long as it's at the correct temperature and the moisture/runoff is collected in a drip tray or other hygenic manner then you'll be fine :thumb:

When my chiller doesn't have a carcass in it I clean it/sterilise it and leave the door open a crack to let it dry out and prevent odours

Alex

I have the same problem with mine As said by others if you can hang the beast till the temp drops before you put it in it helps and I think it's bad are circulation . I used to have a double drinks fridge with 4 fans in it till it broke now I have a single which has this problem! !only one fan and not the same circulation space

Last edited:
If the moisture is coming from the carcass then yes, it's pretty normal. You'll normally lose a pound or two of moisture from a carcass over the course of hanging in a chiller.

You don't want a new fangled frost free type fridge because it will dry the meat out much quicker. So long as it's at the correct temperature and the moisture/runoff is collected in a drip tray or other hygenic manner then you'll be fine :thumb:

When my chiller doesn't have a carcass in it I clean it/sterilise it and leave the door open a crack to let it dry out and prevent odours

Alex
Exactly what i have found (old drinks chiller) and exactly what i do.
The only problem i have is my wife can hear it running at night, it's against the wall below our bedroom, strangely i can never hear it:D
Cheers

if the pelt is wet ie when raining it will hold a lot of moisture.
This can lead to a high humidity
The main problem then will be a bloom of mould on the meat after about 5 days.
if kept below 4 degrees Centigrade there should be little bacteria growth.

The condensation is caused by the evaperator temperature stripping moisture from the carcass.

All chillers strip moisture as long as the fan is drawing the moist air across the coil it will remove it down the condensation drain.

If the drain is blocked it will stay inside the chiller

One of the main causes of condensation is trying to get the carcass too cold too quickly take it to 7c first and when it has settled at that then take it to 3c.

It does not matter if the chiller is a frost free unit or not.

I just love the armchair chiller engineers on here if you want to know just ask.

Last edited:
Well I've been called some names on here but 'armchair chiller engineer' is a first. :lol:

I'm guessing in this context 'armchair chiller engineer' refers to someone who talks about their experience of using chillers but who in fact doesn't have any experience?

Which is odd... because although I do own an armchair, like most people these days, I also own a fridge. Two in fact. One a 'frost free' conventional kitchen fridge/freezer and two a purpose built game chiller. The game chiller can be operated with an internal condensation drain open or closed and in my experience, with the drain closed, a) the game chiller dries meat out less than the kitchen fridge and b) the game chiller, which is to all intents and purposes a sealed container, does cause a certain amount of condensation from a carcass which (nowhere for the moisture to go) simply runs into the drip dray at the bottom and, as the OP was asking, is perfectly normal under these circumstances - and probably quite desirable for maintaining a slightly more moist atmosphere.

So, the short version is my previous advice stands based on my own experience.

Don't mind being corrected, sharing info is what the site is about - do mind being 'armchaired' because that's just rude and we don't like rude on SD do we. :D

Alex

Last edited:
Alex it was not aimed at you I know you have done a bit.

As a lot of the people on here know chillers are what I make my living at and there was no intention to be insulting but I read loads of uninformed information on here.

I know people are only trying to help but if you dont know, dont comment, there are a lot of guys like me on here that are only happy to help at no charge.

I dont try to help people with computer or washing machine or turning problems because I only know a little bit about them, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Sorry if I upset anyone but I was only saying what I think.

Back