Lightweight alternative to Optilocks

Malxwal

What would be a high quality, lightweight alternative to Optilocks for Sako xtra low mounts ? Obviously I'm not up to speed on the variety of mounts available, just always used Optilocks. Looking to keep weight to a minimum on the rifle, and having just received a set from a member on here (many thanks Sir), it struck me just how heavy the blued steel bases are.

millet do them , but never seen them in the flesh as i only use optilocks
i also have a set of weaver /picatinny s mount's so i can fit any rings or NV to my 85 and a IOR rail same for the 75

Third eye / tier do direct fit to dovetail one piece never used any of seen any but worth a look

Leupold do rings and bases that are very good quality, although I still prefer optiloc, are you really going to save any noticeable weight by changing?

Leupold do rings and bases that are very good quality, although I still prefer optiloc, are you really going to save any noticeable weight by changing?

I don't know, hence the thread. In all reality maybe an ounce or so if the mounts were aluminium or a light alloy. I would only move away from the Optilocks if I could find the same reliability and quality in a lighter system.

ha did't say i would use them ! as you say you get what you pay for ,the chap just wish to know who done them to fit sako's , and why i only use opti's they just do the job as they say they do! I don't feel you add that amount after you add scope ammo etc without or with a mod my 85 ss is as light as it needs to be, and a plus they won't damage your scope as say warne can .

wouldn't touch millet with a barge pole having experienced their "Mangle-Loks" first hand
nasty things guaranteed to ruin a scope paint job

It's OK, I'm nae obsessed with the idea, just struck me what solid wee lumps the Optilock bases are. In the greater scheme of things, the weight difference would, as I say, probably only come to an ounce or so, and ye'd never notice that over your shoulder. Just interested to tap the collective font of knowledge as to other option for Sako. Don't be having a war over it :D

Just need to put the optilocks on the scale, I did it years ago and decided never ever to touch them again. They are much heavier than most alternatives.
edi

What would be a high quality, lightweight alternative to Optilocks for Sako xtra low mounts ? Obviously I'm not up to speed on the variety of mounts available, just always used Optilocks. Looking to keep weight to a minimum on the rifle, and having just received a set from a member on here (many thanks Sir), it struck me just how heavy the blued steel bases are.

I'm not sure you're seriously considering swapping 'quality' OE mounts for an alternative? If you are, resurrect this post in a week as a distraction when I'll probably be stuck on the sofa with loathsome relatives. :cry:

Here's a link to Millett USA. The Angle-Loc series are several ounces lighter.

Millett - Angle-Loc Steel Rings

Just need to put the optilocks on the scale, I did it years ago and decided never ever to touch them again. They are much heavier than most alternatives.
edi
Optilock low mounts are about 4.6oz (that's HEAVY).

seriously though, if you need to shave off a couple of ounces from your rig in order to be able to carry it round you,gotta ask yourself.......

Stick with the opti locks and carry 1 less round of ammo. You'll have saved more weight. Or have a good s**t before you go and you'll be a lb lighter.:lol:

If I was looking to cut corners on a set up the mounts would be the very last thing I'd look to change. I've been using optilocks for years and never had a problem.

Back