Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer stalking related projects

Deer stalking related projects

Being a trained furniture and cabinet designer and maker I frequently turn my skills and workshop equipment to making items to assist me in my deer stalking.
    It occoured to me that it would be quite a nice touch if this site had a dedicated section to encourage people to post examples or instructions of how they have gone about certain projects so that it can be used as a source of reference and inspiration to others.
    I appreciate that people do frequently post threads on things they have made but I think it would be great if one could find all these projects in one place - just like in the cooking section.
    The nature of deer stalking frequently brings about the need for specific items that cannot be bought and so many people, myself included, turn to making items, which frequently turn out to be a real success and help. For example : high seats, rifle slings, winch arrangements, shooting sticks, clothing, larder equipment, knives, firearm adjustments, deer extraction sledges, reloading benches and aids, vehicle modifications etc etc etc are all projects that would rest quite nicely in their own section.
    The start of the section could have a basic set of standard dimensions for high seat design and construction as this is something that is constantly being needed and would save much searching of sometimes rather lengthy threads.
    Perhaps other members would like to give their thoughts on this ?

Kind regards, Olaf

ps. This Chrismas I am making myself a hand warming tube from some mink furs that I salvaged from an old fur shawl ! I'm aiming for that Dr Zhivago look this season !

Good idea, I've made a few bits from threads on here and lots of my own creation so would be good to share more easily.

Great idea! I am neither an inventor nor a designer but I woulod be glad to learn from others.

I'm currently working on a high frequency induction case annealer. It's taken me a year on & off to get it reliably working within the parameters the application demands - Nearly there now - It has been fun! Blown up a few electronic components & had a few redesigns along the way - The difficult part is making it idiot proof! - when it is fine tuned I'll post details.

Ian

Go Olaf and Yorric. I like this idea.

My gut feel is that a lot of Olaf's suggestions are kind of intuitive and we would build things according to the materials to hand. The basic idea of the project is all we would need to get us started in the right direction. Yorrics induction heater on the other hand would need a much more specific recipe and I'm particularly interested in that and I foresee 2 big questions: how to get the heat in and how to get the right amount of heat.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Being a trained furniture and cabinet designer and maker I frequently turn my skills and workshop equipment to making items to assist me in my deer stalking.
    It occoured to me that it would be quite a nice touch if this site had a dedicated section to encourage people to post examples or instructions of how they have gone about certain projects so that it can be used as a source of reference and inspiration to others.
    I appreciate that people do frequently post threads on things they have made but I think it would be great if one could find all these projects in one place - just like in the cooking section.
    The nature of deer stalking frequently brings about the need for specific items that cannot be bought and so many people, myself included, turn to making items, which frequently turn out to be a real success and help. For example : high seats, rifle slings, winch arrangements, shooting sticks, clothing, larder equipment, knives, firearm adjustments, deer extraction sledges, reloading benches and aids, vehicle modifications etc etc etc are all projects that would rest quite nicely in their own section.
    The start of the section could have a basic set of standard dimensions for high seat design and construction as this is something that is constantly being needed and would save much searching of sometimes rather lengthy threads.
    Perhaps other members would like to give their thoughts on this ?

Kind regards, Olaf

ps. This Chrismas I am making myself a hand warming tube from some mink furs that I salvaged from an old fur shawl ! I'm aiming for that Dr Zhivago look this season !
    I would quite like someone to make me a hand-crafted mixed wood rifle cradle to my spec' please:

Cheers

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I would quite like someone to make me a hand-crafted mixed wood rifle cradle to my spec' please:

Cheers

K
    Hmm, the one I use in the workshop didn't come out like that. Mind you, with a bandsaw, some screws, some soft velcro and an old pallet I suppose I shouldn't expect too much

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Go Olaf and Yorric. I like this idea.

My gut feel is that a lot of Olaf's suggestions are kind of intuitive and we would build things according to the materials to hand. The basic idea of the project is all we would need to get us started in the right direction. Yorrics induction heater on the other hand would need a much more specific recipe and I'm particularly interested in that and I foresee 2 big questions: how to get the heat in and how to get the right amount of heat.

GH
    2 Big answers - 1 - by ELECTRICAL INDUCTION & 2 - by controlling the power & time of exposure. (A bit like your microvave - same science). I have solved both of these.

Ian

sounds interesting, looking forward to the write up

[QUOTE=Klenchblaize;892843]I would quite like someone to make me a hand-crafted mixed wood rifle cradle to my spec' please:

Yes, just send me a pm or post some details and I will happily work one out and a price for you. Is the picture above one you have made or one you would like to use as a starting point for a design concept ?
    Kind regards, Olaf