Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this gralloch please

Opinions on this gralloch please

hi all

I shot a roe doe yesterday and when I performed the gralloch I notices some odd marks on the stomach. I got it finished and laid it out on the ground for a better look. it appears to have some kind of blood marks under the surface, they almost look like stretch marks I guess. I also notices that part of the intestine was a purple colour which looked a bit odd to me.

no idea if it could make any difference but it was shot in the neck just below the head.

the beast otherwise looked fine body wise and I found no swollen glands.

any idea what would cause this? and in your opinion is it ok to eat? its hanging in the chillier just now and plan on eating it.

thanks in advance for your views

Greg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 1.JPG 
Views:	530 
Size:	666.2 KB 
ID:	50502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 2.JPG 
Views:	518 
Size:	669.5 KB 
ID:	50503

I'd be interested to find out the cause, never seen this before, although I wouldn't be too keen on eating it after seeing those striking colours . Could it be some form of parasite or blood poisoning causing the discolouration?

What had it been browzing/grazing on?....

2130martin,

good question and its something I forgot to mention although I don't know if relevant. I shot this Doe and a follower in some clean fell and there is a lot of rhododendron bushes there. not sure if that's what they have been eating or not as the young one was fine. I just wondered at the time if the bushes maybe caused some kind of damage.

a friend of mine who is a professional stalker and has been in this game for about 30 years said that it wasn't easy to tell from the pics but he suspected the deer had been involved in some kind of impact or trauma. I guess that will become more clear when the jacket comes off depending on evidence of bruising or damaged tissue.

I am pretty sure that it does not tie in with any notifyable disease so would assume that's is ok to eat.

What was the behaviour pre-shot, did you have along followup etc. Seen in isolation you can get these findings with clostridial disease. The blood splashing in the stomach could be stress related, but the intestines too look dark. Has the carcass set?

hi Buchan. to be honest the beast was lying in a slight hollow and only its head was on show. I shot it in the neck just below the head so cant really say what its behaviour was like. this it the first time I have stalked this piece of ground so am unaware of any factors which may cause stress but I know some people walk dogs in the area which may cause stress. also noted that she only had one young one which may mean the other has fallen victim to something which is a long shot but may be another reason for potential stress.

if this was due to stress I would think its ok? but I am not 100% sure.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gmorrice96 View Post
    2130martin,

good question and its something I forgot to mention although I don't know if relevant. I shot this Doe and a follower in some clean fell and there is a lot of rhododendron bushes there. not sure if that's what they have been eating or not as the young one was fine. I just wondered at the time if the bushes maybe caused some kind of damage.

a friend of mine who is a professional stalker and has been in this game for about 30 years said that it wasn't easy to tell from the pics but he suspected the deer had been involved in some kind of impact or trauma. I guess that will become more clear when the jacket comes off depending on evidence of bruising or damaged tissue.

I am pretty sure that it does not tie in with any notifyable disease so would assume that's is ok to eat.

My first thought was some sort of poisoning through diet,maybe bracken toxicity?............was there bracken around?

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    What was the behaviour pre-shot, did you have along followup etc. Seen in isolation you can get these findings with clostridial disease. The blood splashing in the stomach could be stress related, but the intestines too look dark. Has the carcass set?
    what did the lungs and heart look like,thats where stress usually shows first....

to be honest I cant recall if there was bracken around. the rhododendron bushes are pretty prominent, so much so that they were mentioned in the foresters report regarding replanting of the area as a problem.

for a start I thought it was blood on the outside of the stomach and tried to wipe it off but then realised that its sub surface.

one thing pointed out to me was the lack / low amount of faecal matter in the intestine. when I disconnected the back end I went to squeeze the pellets out the last few inches to stop them coming out during the gralloch but instead of pellets it was a lump of mushy poop. not sure if that has much bearing on things.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    what did the lungs and heart look like,thats where stress usually shows first....
    all I noticed was the stomach and the intestine being a bit off colour. everything else looked fine, including the carcase which didn't seem bruised.