Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new poodle shooter

Thinking about a new poodle shooter

I'm looking at getting a new rifle set up specifically for coyotes and wolves . I must have spent to much time on SD because I'm thinking that a 243 would make a great heavy varmint rifle ( yes , I used the word varmint ) I've used 22 center fires extensively for over 30 years on coyotes and they worked well . Wolves are considerably bigger , but not that hard to kill . I don't want to damage the hides to much so I'm asking all of you for suggestions as to bullet weight and construction . Coyotes run about 35 to 50 pounds around here and wolves go about 75 to 150 pounds ( definitely a large one, but they are around ) Ranges will go from 25 to 300 yards and wind will sometimes be a factor .

The 243 isn't an overly popular round here so I'm asking all of you for advise . I'm sure with the accumulated experience with 243's on this site we'll come up with something lol . Looking forward to your opinions , educate me .

AB

Wouldn't .223 be more readily available across the pond? I've used a lot of the lighter polymer tipped Hornady rounds (55gr vmax). These really boogie, are good out to 300 and shoot fairly flat too - might be worth considering?

Wouldn't want to educate you AB....
    the 80gr Sierra BT SP (varminter) worked really well. Try it. Great balance between expansion and penetration. Does not behave like a varmint bullet.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Wouldn't .223 be more readily available across the pond? I've used a lot of the lighter polymer tipped Hornady rounds (55gr vmax). These really boogie, are good out to 300 and shoot fairly flat too - might be worth considering?
    You're right , the 223 is very popular for coyotes and is readily available . The general consensus here though is that it's a bit light for wolves . They are fairly large animals and I need a bullet that will penetrate rather than expand explosively . I realize it's a lot to ask of a bullet , something that will expand at long range yet hold together up close . I do have a fast twist 223 that will throw heavy for caliber bullets accurately , but I'm concerned about a lack of expansion on coyotes at long range . It is a bit of a catch 22 .

Thanks AB

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Wouldn't want to educate you AB....
    the 80gr Sierra BT SP (varminter) worked really well. Try it. Great balance between expansion and penetration. Does not behave like a varmint bullet.
    edi
    Not at all brother , feel free to educate me lol . I have very little experience with 243's . The Sierra sounds like what I'm looking for . How do they expand on smaller animals at 2 to 3 hundred yards ?

AB

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    You're right , the 223 is very popular for coyotes and is readily available . The general consensus here though is that it's a bit light for wolves . They are fairly large animals and I need a bullet that will penetrate rather than expand explosively . I realize it's a lot to ask of a bullet , something that will expand at long range yet hold together up close . I do have a fast twist 223 that will throw heavy for caliber bullets accurately , but I'm concerned about a lack of expansion on coyotes at long range . It is a bit of a catch 22 .

Thanks AB
    Understood, in that case, I've got a friend who loads an 85gr Sierra (gameking, I think) in .243 - it's an impressive round on fox / muntjac at various distances and is maybe more of a balance of what your looking for over my initial suggestion of .223 - oh to have all different things to hunt!

Would 22 - 250 be a good compromise for you ? When I was In ab a local guy was using one for wolves and never complained about lack of power
    may e with a 60 gr btsp ?
    Last edited by jimbo1984; 20-12-2014 at 06:55.
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Would 22 - 250 be a good compromise for you ? When I was In ab a local guy was using one for wolves and never complained about lack of power
    may e with a 60 gr btsp ?
    You beat me to it, i have a .243 and to be honest it would be perfect, having said that i shot a 22-250 when i was in the states shooting prairie dogs, very impressed with it's shooting, i would definitely consider it.
    Is there not a forum on your side of the pond who can answer this based on personal experience?
    I suspect there aren't that many on here who have actually ever seen a coyote/wolf in the flesh let alone shoot one.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 21-12-2014 at 01:42.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Aren't most of the bullets in sub .243 only really varmint bullets.
    If AB wants expansion rather than explosive then .243 bullet choice would be better, particularly if he is looking to use a heavier bullet.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

IMO

either speed up with a 22-250/220swift pushing 55-60gr
    or
    go bigger/heavier with a .243 with 75-90gr

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Aren't most of the bullets in sub .243 only really varmint bullets.
    If AB wants expansion rather than explosive then .243 bullet choice would be better, particularly if he is looking to use a heavier bullet.
    possibly more options in .243 but they do exist in .224

I use 60gr Hornady Soft Points in the .222 on deer

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .224 22 CAL :: 22 Cal .224 60gr SP
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Bullet Type :: Varmint™

They are actually marketed under the "Varmint" label in the US I am guessing more because of calibre than construction
    They are flat base, lead filled, cup and core with good expansion and energy characteristics.
    They are certainly not "explosive" as listed in the blurb. They list AMax and VMax as similarly "explosive"/"Violently explosive"
    Never recovered one, they always exit
    Usually with a very small entry wound, and a reasonably small exit wound 0.25-0.5" in and 0.7-1.0" out

Put one clean through both shoulders of a roe at 180-200yds and that is starting off at barely 3000fps MV

I am guessing it you are shooting for fur and pelts though you want less holes not more
    isn't a VMax a better option?
    certainly had very few exits on foxes with 55gr Vmax at a wide range of distances