Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions, please?

Opinions, please?

I'm about to begin reloading 22-250 and .270 & just wanted to ask members opinions on this Lee kit.

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit - Reloading - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

I already have the Richard Lee reloading data manual, so I'd need to get the dies, loading block, etc. But as a start, what do you think? Appreciate any input

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I'm about to begin reloading 22-250 and .270 & just wanted to ask members opinions on this Lee kit.

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit - Reloading - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

I already have the Richard Lee reloading data manual, so I'd need to get the dies, loading block, etc. But as a start, what do you think? Appreciate any input
    A quick search would find divided camps with regard to Lee gear. I have a lot of Lee equipment, as well as others. It is fine for your applications.~Muir

Thanks Muir. I've heard varied reports about it right enough, so I thought I'd ask guys who have actually used it before going ahead & buying the kit. I won't be loading massive amounts, so I won't need a particularly fancy setup

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I doubt most people can tell apart a reload assembled using Lee kit from a reload using more expensive kit.

Neither can the deer.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Ha ha, that's true I guess.

Just to chuck another thing into the mix I've jsut found this turret press kit.......................more reading required, methinks

LEE VALUE TURRET PRESS KIT W/ Auto index 90928 | eBay

The press and hand primer are great, it's what I use for reloading .223 and .308, I use Hornady dies with it. As for the rest of the stuff in the box, the scales are ****, you'll definitely want some decent RCBS scales, and the powder measure isnt very accurate, good for quickly loading plinking ammo but wouldn't use it for my hunting stuff.

used lee scales for 30years same ones over 15000 rounds no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Thanks Muir. I've heard varied reports about it right enough, so I thought I'd ask guys who have actually used it before going ahead & buying the kit. I won't be loading massive amounts, so I won't need a particularly fancy setup
    I started out with home made sizing dies. Time and needs marched on and I bought 2nd hand gear better then the last. I have a decent set up now. Along with the Lee Hand press and an O-style bench press, I have 2 (eventually three) Forster Coaxials, two Ohaus scales along with my Lee, 6 powder measures and my trusty set of Lee Dippers! The stuff breeds and multiplies at night, I swear!

Keep the word out that you are looking for reloading gear and some nice things will eventually come your way. I recently bought a Bonanza (later Forster) CoAxial press, scale, three sets of dies, Bonanza Bench rest measure and "lots" of powder and bullets from a woman whose husband gave up shooting. Sight unseen i paid $300 for it. I pick it up next week. Do I need it? No. But I'll put it to use somehow.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Keep the word out that you are looking for reloading gear and some nice things will eventually come your way
    I already have a friend who's volunteered that he has a set of .270 dies for me He used to shoot a .270 but decided it was more than he needed, so the dies are sitting in his attic. A really good friend of mine in the states made up some loads for me last year that grouped beautifully in my rifle. He took the speed right back to about 2700fps & this one particular load tamed the muzzle flip and reduced the recoil until it was almost comparable to a 22-250. If I can replicate that load I'll be very happy.

No doubt I'll end up buying a heap of stuff I won't strictly need but hey, new toys are never a waste of money, right?