FIRST PIGLETS 2008

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Hi Chaps
The things I do for you lot ;) Risked my own personal safety to get you these pictures of a Herefordshire sow and her piglets. First ones I've seen this year we got within 20 yards and she was that relaxed she lay down and suckled right in front of us unfortunately that photo didn't come out very well. We watched them for a good 15-20mins seeing the damage one Boar can do in that short time :oops: before leaving them in peace. Quite an experience
Unfortunately we didn't bump into their big brother :cry:

Wayne
DSC00559.jpg
[/img]

Fantastic picture. I know I'm not supposed to think like this but boy, are the piglets cute!

AAAAHHHH, Aren`t they cute :eek:

Great photo Wayne, I`m drooling at all that bacon :lol:

This little piggy went to market :eek:
This little piggy stayed at home :eek:
This little piggy ate roast beef :confused:
This little piggy had none :cry:
and this little piggy ended up in Waynes larder come christmas time. haha :lol:

wadas

Hi

I think DEFRA need to speak to you and Gerry about populations of boar. From the little I understand, there's going to be another huger rise in numbers this year, unless there's a lot of people bagging pigs that we don't hear about.

Rob

What a great photograph. You should send that to DEFRA, what with so few pigs being out there, that must be a very rare shot!

Now I want a bacon sarnie :D

John

Great photo Wayne,

I just started to drool at the thought of those filling my freezer in the autumn, thy should be about 50 to 70 lb by then.

Gerry

Rob Mac said
Hi

I think DEFRA need to speak to you and Gerry about populations of boar. From the little I understand, there's going to be another huger rise in numbers this year, unless there's a lot of people bagging pigs that we don't hear about.

Rob
Hi Rob
The less I have to do with DEFRA (CSL) the better, they have had a good go at trying to stop us shooting them but failed so far.
We know there is a strong population in our area but they are getting more elusive all the time and CSLare still feeding them in the woodland for there million pound research project , so they don't have to come out to feed.

The rest of you buggers all this talk of bacon and sausages how can you even think it with these little cute chaps :eek: I think I might have to give up shooting them. :evil: :evil: Yeah sure I will :evil: :evil:

Wayne

well done wayne
there are others that would of shot first and thought of the young after , nice picture , can't imagine you could ever hurt those poor little blighters :cry:
not atleast till the autumn when they'll be worth eating :evil:
just hav to get them before blaser does :lol:

Hi Wayne,

Great piccy, which one has my name on it :D

Hope you are well, will be going down to Dorset next month to make a delivery to Paul. Might see you there ?

Wayne mate, were you on foot or in a truck because your a braver man than me if you were in your boots :D :D

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Rob Mac said
Hi

Rob
Hi Rob
....... and CSLare still feeding them in the woodland for there million pound research project , so they don't have to come out to feed.

And injecting them with contraceptives.

Hi Paul
I think they are supposed to be injecting a few for this latest project but to my knowledge no one has AHEM :!: :!: "come across one" with the relevant marks and from what we hear they aren't having a lot of success with the live catching this time :D

Hi Malc,
I might be in Dorset in March not sure yet I'll shout if I am.
As for the Boar that invite is still open anytime to look for their big brother.

Blaser, I know what you mean we could do with some freezer size ones, but I'll just have to put up with trophy boar :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry Jer couldn't resist)

Stone, Five good reasons for DEFRA to pull their head out of their A**E and put a close season on them :mad:

Wayne

Nice picture Wayne.

What do you think is a reasonable close season? I am curious as many Continental countries have year round seasons, allowing disciplined hunters to go after males during the summer months etc.

What is the biggest litter you have seen?

Boghossian Said
What do you think is a reasonable close season? I am curious as many Continental countries have year round seasons, allowing disciplined hunters to go after males during the summer months etc.

What is the biggest litter you have seen?

Hi Boghossian
In DEFRA's original consultation they suggested 1st March-31st August but as I took that picture on the 27th of February Maybe 31st Jan-31st August??? I have no problem with shooting males all year round.

I think that was the biggest litter we have seen but previously we have seen several together so hard to tell. Several young females shot were carrying 2-3.

Wayne

Whilst out with jdm we saw a sow with four well grown piglets in tow and also other sows with piglets clearly born several months later than these.

Hi Paul
A few months back we saw a group of about 25 Boar ranging from one huge sow to about 15 piglets of various sizes. We were within about 100yds trying to shoot a nice "eater" but they were that busy there was no chance of getting a shot :(

Wayne

Back