Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinel knifes difficult to open when wet / damp

Opinel knifes difficult to open when wet / damp

How do i stop my opinel knife from swelling when it becomes wet / damp

Great little knife but a bugger to open when wet
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Feed it a tiny amount of Linseed oil? mine seems to be immune to the wet.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Keep it in a plastic bag so it doesn't get wet

Hold at pivot end and tap other end on a Tree or stone, you will notice they have a little point of wood there, that's what it for, blade will come out.

The Opinel is designed so that when it becomes wet just sharply tap the end that rises to a point on a hard surface and the blade will lift sufficiently to allow you to open the knife.

F

seal the grain at the open end after leaving on a radiator to dry out and loosen
    or keep it dry

mine all need a tap to open

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Hold at pivot end and tap other end on a Tree or stone, you will notice they have a little point of wood there, that's what it for, blade will come out.
    This

When you get a new opinel knife pop it in oven for ten mins then cover with linseed / olive / veg oil over night , as it'll be bone dry it'll suck up the oil very quickly and once dried out it will not be affected by moisture / swell , worked fore for last 20 years although I've no doubt I'll need cert to use one soon
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

You mean you don,t have the latest BASC , CSWPO ,ticket (common sense with pointy objects ) it's only 300 and comes with a badge, with Velcro on the back to comply with H&S.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    You mean you don,t have the latest BASC , CSWPO ,ticket (common sense with pointy objects ) it's only 300 and comes with a badge, with Velcro on the back to comply with H&S.
    Book me straight on it taff and while were at it see of we can get me potty trained too , I know we're joking here but Jesus christ I can see the above certs become real in the next year or two if some on here get thier way ....
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions