Opinel knifes difficult to open when wet / damp

Trufflehunting

How do i stop my opinel knife from swelling when it becomes wet / damp

Great little knife but a bugger to open when wet

Hold at pivot end and tap other end on a Tree or stone, you will notice they have a little point of wood there, that's what it for, blade will come out.:D

The Opinel is designed so that when it becomes wet just sharply tap the end that rises to a point on a hard surface and the blade will lift sufficiently to allow you to open the knife.

F

seal the grain at the open end after leaving on a radiator to dry out and loosen
or keep it dry

mine all need a tap to open

When you get a new opinel knife pop it in oven for ten mins then cover with linseed / olive / veg oil over night , as it'll be bone dry it'll suck up the oil very quickly and once dried out it will not be affected by moisture / swell , worked fore for last 20 years although I've no doubt I'll need cert to use one soon ;)

You mean you don,t have the latest BASC , CSWPO ,ticket (common sense with pointy objects ) it's only £300 and comes with a badge, with Velcro on the back to comply with H&S.

You mean you don,t have the latest BASC , CSWPO ,ticket (common sense with pointy objects ) it's only £300 and comes with a badge, with Velcro on the back to comply with H&S.
Book me straight on it taff and while were at it see of we can get me potty trained too , I know we're joking here but Jesus christ I can see the above certs become real in the next year or two if some on here get thier way ....

it if comes with a badge, sign me up!

How do you think they got the company name?

when wet you haven't got a "hope in hell" :D

Been there, done that and changed my knife in the end to less wet duties.

The Opinel is designed so that when it becomes wet just sharply tap the end that rises to a point on a hard surface and the blade will lift sufficiently to allow you to open the knife.

F

I have owned Opinel knives for over 30 years and this is the first time I have heard of this. Great tip.

FWIW: When new I soak the locking end of mine in auto anti-freeze for 24hrs. After that it will never dry out or absorb water.

SS

I sometimes force a patina on the blades with vinegar too.
The carbon steel seems to be a but more resilient to rust once it's been done. Not really a looker but that's what the fallkniven is for..

I usually put some cold-blue on mine to curb the rust

Attachments

• Opinel.jpg
    Opinel.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 34
Back