Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advise on Bow.

Advise on Bow.

I am going to get a bow in the new year. It will be a compound bow not to expencive as I dont know if I will enjoy it. Could anyone advise me on what I should be looking for technicaly. Do I go for a 55lb bow or what? How do I decide on the size etc. Advise from experienced bow men would be grately appriciated.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    I am going to get a bow in the new year. It will be a compound bow not to expencive as I dont know if I will enjoy it. Could anyone advise me on what I should be looking for technicaly. Do I go for a 55lb bow or what? How do I decide on the size etc. Advise from experienced bow men would be grately appriciated.
    Tusker
    OMG your going to get lynched...

Take cover..................

He'll be alright, every one will read the post, digest the information and come to the logical conclusion that there is nothing unlawful/untoward regarding the OPs request.

Tusker,

PM me and we can exchange emails. I am an avid bow hunter, having started in the game back in the late 70's when the compound first came out. Along the while I have had quite a few bows, even spent some time making my own long bows (when I had the time).

CAM

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Tusker,

PM me and we can exchange emails. I am an avid bow hunter, having started in the game back in the late 70's when the compound first came out. Along the while I have had quite a few bows, even spent some time making my own long bows (when I had the time).

CAM
    Cam, don't keep your advice under wraps, I'd also love to know more about c/bows too!
    Kev.

Tusker - The NFAS (National Field Archery Society) have member clubs all over the UK. Find your local one & arrange to meet some members. You will find plenty of advice there in the "Bowhunter" class. These guys shoot lifelike animal targets using hunting style equipment at unknown ranges in all kinds of terrain.
    There is also the EFAA (English Field Archery Association) These shoot at monochrome roundal targets at known distances over various terrain.
    Also the GNAS (Grand National Archery Society) Dress up in green, shoot big coloured roundal targets at set distances across a flat field.
    Selecting a compound depends on your physical build -size & strength - The draw lengthof the bow is critical on a compound & needs to match you. Draw weight is down to your strength.
    You can get a rough idea of draw length requirement by holding a dowel one end onto the top of your chest & the other out in front of you held between your finger tips. The distance from your finger tips to your chest plus a couple of inches is the minimum length of arrow you should use.
    Arrows come in different stiffnesses to match the draw length & weight of pull of the bow. This is important as too weak an arrow will shatter if shot from a too powerful bow.
    If you find out enough info to be able to specify your ideal bow you can buy one cheaply enough second hand. They go for peanuts.
    Enjoy the sport.

Ian

Attend an archery Open Day and try all types of bow first. I did and frankly now won't go near a compound having experienced what it is to loose an arrow from a longbow.

The compound is too much like a rifle whereas a longbow...........

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

PSE Stinger 3G Looks as good as it shoots and can be fully adjusted to fit with hex keys by a monkey

look for last years model , bargains to be had if you don't need the latest trendy bow

ive just got a flat bow for some back to basics practice
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !