Advise on Bow.

tusker

I am going to get a bow in the new year. It will be a compound bow not to expencive as I dont know if I will enjoy it. Could anyone advise me on what I should be looking for technicaly. Do I go for a 55lb bow or what? How do I decide on the size etc. Advise from experienced bow men would be grately appriciated.
Tusker

I am going to get a bow in the new year. It will be a compound bow not to expencive as I dont know if I will enjoy it. Could anyone advise me on what I should be looking for technicaly. Do I go for a 55lb bow or what? How do I decide on the size etc. Advise from experienced bow men would be grately appriciated.
Tusker

OMG your going to get lynched... :D

He'll be alright, every one will read the post, digest the information and come to the logical conclusion that there is nothing unlawful/untoward regarding the OPs request.

Tusker,

PM me and we can exchange emails. I am an avid bow hunter, having started in the game back in the late 70's when the compound first came out. Along the while I have had quite a few bows, even spent some time making my own long bows (when I had the time).

CAM

Tusker,

PM me and we can exchange emails. I am an avid bow hunter, having started in the game back in the late 70's when the compound first came out. Along the while I have had quite a few bows, even spent some time making my own long bows (when I had the time).

CAM
Cam, don't keep your advice under wraps, I'd also love to know more about c/bows too!
Kev.

Tusker - The NFAS (National Field Archery Society) have member clubs all over the UK. Find your local one & arrange to meet some members. You will find plenty of advice there in the "Bowhunter" class. These guys shoot lifelike animal targets using hunting style equipment at unknown ranges in all kinds of terrain.
There is also the EFAA (English Field Archery Association) These shoot at monochrome roundal targets at known distances over various terrain.
Also the GNAS (Grand National Archery Society) Dress up in green, shoot big coloured roundal targets at set distances across a flat field.
Selecting a compound depends on your physical build -size & strength - The draw lengthof the bow is critical on a compound & needs to match you. Draw weight is down to your strength.
You can get a rough idea of draw length requirement by holding a dowel one end onto the top of your chest & the other out in front of you held between your finger tips. The distance from your finger tips to your chest plus a couple of inches is the minimum length of arrow you should use.
Arrows come in different stiffnesses to match the draw length & weight of pull of the bow. This is important as too weak an arrow will shatter if shot from a too powerful bow.
If you find out enough info to be able to specify your ideal bow you can buy one cheaply enough second hand. They go for peanuts.
Enjoy the sport.

Ian

Attend an archery Open Day and try all types of bow first. I did and frankly now won't go near a compound having experienced what it is to loose an arrow from a longbow.

The compound is too much like a rifle whereas a longbow...........

K

look for last years model , bargains to be had if you don't need the latest trendy bow

ive just got a flat bow for some back to basics practice

as said above go to someone who can measure your draw lenth properly and bear in mind with a compound bow you have the choice of a release aid or shoot with fingers the same as a recurve or longbow etc , arrow stiffness(spine) depends on draw weight of the bow and the weight of the point not so vital with a compound as with other types of bow but still something you will have to learn how to master
Most compounds these days come with a couple of inches of adjustment on the cams and will also have 10-15lbs adjustment range on the draw weight bear in mind bows operate better when set to within 10% of their upper draw weight , however for field archery and target work there isn't much point going above 55lb (some associations keep that as a limit) it just makes arrow withdrawal harder and target damage more frequent .
What you find hard to shoot at first will become very easy over a few months as your muscles build up so don't buy too soon often hooking up with a club etc will see you being offered a bow to use for a while .

Do plenty of reading first,
theres a lot to consider on setting up a compound bow,
New model bows are bought out every year in the States,
but you dont need the 2016 super dooper model.
I like BEAR archery bows
look at HuntersFriend .eu or .com to see what they supply as ready to hunt kits.
get a cheap recurve bow and fling a few arrows whilst you are waiting,

dont try to go for too heavy a bow. If your draw length is 28 inches
then 40lbs is plenty for a beginer with a recurve bow
and 55lbs for a compound is ok.

I think there is a guy on here called Gary who is very knowledgeable and hopefully he will drop by to give advice.
I did an archery course 12 months ago as i thought about bow hunting in Montana, used a 28lb recurve which was great fun and i joined the NFAS.
But too be honest i couldn't afford the compound hunting bow and all the accessories so dropped the idea.
I have respect for the American bow hunters, their stalking to get into range is second to none.
Useful link BOWHUNTING, THE ALTERNATIVE CALIBRE - Home
Cheers
Richard

As others have said - bows are in a constant state of improvement (more so with compounds, but also progress on recurve sand longbows). A 5 year old bow can be had for a song and will be more than fine for a beginner.

if you go with an older bow, something with at least a 42" axle to axle (center of the cam wheels) will allow you to shoot finger release. Shorter than that and the pinch will require you go to a release aid ($50). If you want to learn to be successful early then plan on a bow with a peep sight, at least 3 pin front sight, and a good rest/arrow holder.

You can become skilled with instinctive shooting a barebow, but this will require regular (daily) practice and a lot of bent arrows until you learn. On top of that, it is a skill that requires continued practice.

for arrow selection, aluminum arrows are generally cheaper and a bit more forgiving when you miss the target. Carbon fiber are clearly better, but they can run £5 per arrow, and that hurts the wallet when you crack one.

What a wonderful lot you all are. I had no idea that there would be so many knowledgable poeple on here. Taff, I will take you up on your offer in the new year. Cootmeurer, thank you for your advise in your last post that was just what I was wanting to know. Once again thank you all for the advise. I now feel informed when i buy. HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
Tusker

There is good shop not to far away from you called AIM Archery. Be wary of buying a bow online unless you know your correct draw length ect. If you go to a shop they will normally measure your draw length and let you shoot a few bows. Both hoyt and bowtech do some ready to shoot packages which are good value. Once you have deceided what make and model you want your chosen shop can then install your peep,Rest and sight and then tune it for you. Some bows are dedicated target others out right hunting bows i would try and find something you can do a bit of both with. No point in buying a 80 lb bow if all your going to do is shoot targets with it. Most full grown adults can draw a 60lb compound with a bit of practice. As said you don't have to buy the latest 2015 model. I just bought another bow a Hoyt carbon element from AIM archery that was £1100.00 when it first came out in 2013 i paid £495.00 for it brand new in the box. A word of warning if you think shooting is addictive wait until you start playing with bows. A few of us are off to Africa in July to hunt with bows , Can't wait.
Regards Sean

tusker i suppose one of the questions that should be asked is what's the intended use for the bow as that will have a major bearing on a lot of things

I like the Mathews Compound Bows. As has been said best to go to a dedicated archery shop get measured for your draw length and try different bows.
In the back of my mind I keep telling myself if firearms regulations get harder and the costs keep rising for shooting I will jump ship into archery. Its fun and I was surprised how accurate a compound bow can be. Best of luck.

Have to agree on getting a bow setup for you, I have a redhead made by parker bows , bought secondhand for $300, I took it to basspro in Stl , who set it up and serviced and set it for free, you have to love American companys.

Back