Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What difference does Moly coating make

What difference does Moly coating make

I'm struggling to get .224 55grn Nosler BTs or VMax. The only thing close is 55grn Moly VMax. What difference does the moly make to my usual load? I've been told take it down by 0.5grn

You could try washing them in Meths (try a few in case it melts the tips) as I found it shifted it for me off some I overdid one day.
    Just buy a bottle and chuck some in...quick rattle... pour out over a sieve into a vessel (for re-use) and wipe off: may need two goes.

If you stick with them you may find that you'll need more powder than you initially used as they decrease the friction in the bore after a bit.

Make sure you clean the stuff out regularly as people tend to blame moly for a lack of bore hygiene.

I use them all the time (since 1995 anyway) without any issues but I do clean the rifles.

I bought some A-max in 308 a year or so ago, Molly coated.

went to local hardware shop and bought some ammonia. Soaked and tumbled them in is for an hour or so,

came out non coated. :-)). Happy days.

Ive got moly off by using an old towel , place them in middle the towel, hold either end and tip one way then the other, repeat it for 10 minutes and it soon comes off, swaro

Hi

Not sure what it will do to your load but I recall lots of comments when moly-coated first came out years ago - less friction/faster speeds etc.
    Seems the coating then transferred to the barrel and became a nitemare to remove........pretty sure Google will pull it up.
    Not sure what the concensus is now.

L

This gives some interesting views:
    http://www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm

THE BOTTOM LINE
    It is safe to discard most of the "hype" regarding extended barrel life, ease of cleaning, etc. and focus instead on performance. Nearly all competitive shooters have discarded Moly as a bad idea that just introduced another variable to control. Copper is not difficult to remove with proper solvents and cleaning tools. If you see no substantial accuracy improvement with moly bullets then you may have no reason to use them.

On the other hand if you have a barrel that simply will not shoot well no matter what you try; or it "walks" badly as it heats, then moly coated bullets may be worth a try. Some rifles seem to prefer moly, others show no substantial difference. We have concluded there is a direct relationship between the quality of a barrel and the benefits accrued from using moly. Generally the better the barrel, the fewer benefits. Good barrels foul less, do not change shape as they heat and are easy to clean.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi

Not sure what it will do to your load but I recall lots of comments when moly-coated first came out years ago - less friction/faster speeds etc.
    Seems the coating then transferred to the barrel and became a nitemare to remove........pretty sure Google will pull it up.
    Not sure what the concensus is now.

L
    I was in on the Pioneer Days of Moly coating and it was eventually found that it really did none of these things over a course of fire. Averages remained as they'd been and the barrels were all but ruined for finest accuracy. Moly bullet are available because no one with a choice will shoot them.~Muir

All the OP asked was "would they make a difference?"

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    All the OP asked was "would they make a difference?"
    OK then.
    "Yes and No" ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    OK then.
    "Yes" ~Muir
    And maybe not what you expected or nothing at all!

Ah, and if a molychrome steel barrel clean it as it may rust... I forgot that "gem" from the list.