Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first sika left and right

Question My first sika left and right

Well After two broken promises for a chance at a sika stag from past acquaintisis
    A good friend came good yesterday when I managed a left and right on a pricket
    and a staggie
    there were two big boys out there as well which I was told I could take but they
    will be there for next time

The day started with a trip up to the Cotswolds to shoot a Dubai style clay shoot
    which I can only describe as extreme but good fun
    the average we were told was 37 ex 100
    Targets were bewtween 40 to 80 yds mainly simultaneous pairs

we were on our journey back when Kevin said how long will it to take us to get
    home from up here I said a good 1 1/2 hours getting us home about 3 ish then
    an hour to the stalking ground in Dorset so it would be touch and go with the
    traffic if we wood get there for last light then the offer came from Kev for a go
    at sika
    I didn't need asking twice so we made our journey back grabbing my kit
    I'm going to sound like an article from sporting rifle and peter Carr now
    I donned my new harkila pro hunter trousers also my new nomad quad rider
    from this years cla and armed myself with the Blaser R8 and recently loaded
    and tested 165 grain copper ttsx surely a match for any sika !!

we reached the ground in good time with plenty of light left grassing the side
    of the hill where Kev had seen the sika a week earlier nothing out and on checking
    the wind we were limited on our approach as it was a big bowl and you know how
    it can swirl in these situations and catch you out
    the plan was hatched to stalk up onto a high point so we could spy onto the edge
    of the bowl and then decide on a approach
    we had been there all of two minutes when Kev spotted a Roe grazing allready we
    couldn't determine if it was a buck or doe but watched on
    suddenly Kev said get down low sika I went flat a could see a single beast come out
    from the wood he was closely followed by four more there were two prickets a staggie
    and two mature stags with good heads

we carried on watching and the range on the leicas came back 300 yds
    Kev said if we stalked in the wind would probably do us also the light could also be
    a issue
    Kev asked if I could close the gap by crawling in would I be happy with the shot I said
    I was
    he suggested I stay put for five minutes as to let the light go a bit so as they would
    have less chance of spotting my approach
    this time passed and I started on my way the sika were grazing slowly towards a smaller
    wood where they had been on the pheasant feeders I knew the back two were the
    biggest animals and was told to take more than one if I had the oppertunity
    i got to the point where I was going to take the shot not dropping to low down as not
    to lose to much elevation I pinged from here 240 yds
    I then set the binos up as my rest lent the R8 on top I was happy with the rest and
    lined up the sika that was broadside on the rest had disappeard into the wood or round
    the corner I couldn't tell if it was one of the big boys or not they had switched about
    so it was now or this one was going to be off into the wood as well
    i went high body and pulled off I heard a good twack and saw the beast kick out
    run a few yards and then stretch out before dropping I had reloaded by now the slick bolt
    on the Blaser making this effortless and quick
    The group scattered and three made back up to the main wood but one stopped middle
    of the field looking back to his mate all I could see was a white ass no shot available
    a few more yards and the same again no shot he then made thirty yards and I heard
    Kev whistle and the sika did a 360 turn and went broadside looking back at the one I
    had shot I lined up again and sent another TTSX on its way again another twack
    the deer dropped but after about two seconds stood back up I thought oh **** here we go
    kev shouted just cover it pete the shot was good it's going no where i did this and the deer
    fell again and stayed down I covered it for a couple of minutes and Kev walked in and
    congratulated me with a handshake and said two good shots
    I was just pleased to have shot my first sika and not to have screwed up

we approached both deer and there was a pricket and a staggie both led stone dead
    not one of the big boys but this didn't matter one bit I was just gratefull for the invite
    and to have shot my first sika also be able to share it with a great shooting friend /
    shooting buddy
    on gralloching the first was a perfect heart shot splitting the heart in half
    the second was just back into the liver
    I'm really impressed with these copper bullets you seem to get very little carcass
    damage but they put stuff down a nice combo

regards pete Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	647.5 KB 
ID:	50550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	647.5 KB 
ID:	50550

Well done both of you.
    I thought I was reading sporting rifle for a minuet.

Well chuffed for you Pete. Good shooting as well.

Have aver a good Christmas and catch up soon.

ATB
    Jon

Well done guys nice shooting.

Well done Pete, that was special, you will never forget that outing !

Listen to you with your "new Harkila this and your Nomad that AND your fancy new slick as **** bolt PINK R8 and your up yours TTSX's", im surprised you had time to shoot anything you tart

Well done you old plonker

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas and New Year. I guess Jake will be to busy to make it home ?

ATVB

Max

Good write up Pete but you forgot to plug the Leica's

I don't believe a word of it -using a Blaser indeed

You almost look as though you're in danger of cracking a smile in that photo too Pete! Well done mate, hope to hear the story over a glass of spiced rum soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Listen to you with your "new Harkila this and your Nomad that AND your fancy new slick as **** bolt PINK R8 and your up yours TTSX's", im surprised you had time to shoot anything you tart

Well done you old plonker

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas and New Year. I guess Jake will be to busy to make it home ?

ATVB

Max
    David
    merry Xmas to you and Debs
    well all I can say is I ever get to own half the top end gear that you have I'd be doing well
    Not bad for a doddery old thatcher
    Hopefully Debs will be buying you a R8 pro success for Xmas
    Me and Wayne have been telling you for long enough to get one
    Catch up in the near future m8
    regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Good write up Pete but you forgot to plug the Leica's
    Hi james
    thought that would have been pushing it a bit much
    Regards pete