Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort food.

Comfort food.

The one thing I look forward too every Christmas morning is heading to my folks place for a good Ulster fry. My extended family is very representative of Australia's diverse multi culturalism, but this Thursday morning I'll be diving into a stack of potato bread. The tropical fruits & Asian delights can wait till lunch, & turkey till dinner, morning is for the artery hardening comfort food from my youth.

I'm keen to learn about the Christmas & comfort foods of others, & what space it fills in them other than their bellies.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Got to admit our family is what you would probably call " Old English", not racially diverse at all. I have to say it would be frowned on if anyone married outside white British.
    Having said that, a lot of our friends are from other countries, one of my best buddies is Indian. One of my best customers, known him for years, is again Indian, another mate is from Kashmir.(?) So on that note, we shall be eating traditional Christmas dinner, that's after we've had a fry up for breakfast.

First Christmas with just me and the Mrs this year, not going to anyone else. So, I've bought a nice piece of local bred limousin topside from the farm shop. Beef is my favourite and I shall aspire to cook it like my mum does. Turkey never really did it for me aside from the novelty factor of only really having it for Christmas. Of course the beef will have its traditional accompaniment of Yorkshire pudding and horseradish, then there will be sausagemeat stuffing, spuds and parsnips roasted with dripping (not goose fat) and all the usual other veg. Wife doesn't like Christmas pudding so I've got one all to myself! Then I'm going to drink real ale all afternoon and LBV port all evening!
    the in-laws are coming boxing day, and being fellow traditionalsits when it comes to food (and most things) we'll be having cold gammon, beef and turkey and then a spiced fruit crumble that I'll make, including whatever's left of the port for added flavour.
    My mouth is already watering!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    First Christmas with just me and the Mrs this year, not going to anyone else. So, I've bought a nice piece of local bred limousin topside from the farm shop. Beef is my favourite and I shall aspire to cook it like my mum does. Turkey never really did it for me aside from the novelty factor of only really having it for Christmas. Of course the beef will have its traditional accompaniment of Yorkshire pudding and horseradish, then there will be sausagemeat stuffing, spuds and parsnips roasted with dripping (not goose fat) and all the usual other veg. Wife doesn't like Christmas pudding so I've got one all to myself! Then I'm going to drink real ale all afternoon and LBV port all evening!
    the in-laws are coming boxing day, and being fellow traditionalsits when it comes to food (and most things) we'll be having cold gammon, beef and turkey and then a spiced fruit crumble that I'll make, including whatever's left of the port for added flavour.
    My mouth is already watering!
    Sounds good, I'm entering the season of many roasts and lots of leftovers. I'm taking a gammon to my folks which I'm starting preparation for tonight. Hopefully I'll get my dad's full Scottish on boxing day morning for me though, it's the cheese...just got loads, my mum will have loads and I'm getting a nice bottle of port hmmm

I brewed 120 pints of proper old school bitter - 40 for Christmas, 40 for new year and 40 for whilst it was improving with age.

A bit of roasted barley in with the pale malt, and a bit of crystal, and lsoghtly extra dry hops than usual and its tasting delicious.

For me there is nothing more warming than sharing my wife's venison stew and my beer with friends at home. Lovely. And my little boy (one in Jan) is enjoying the stew already and loves sniffing the beer and licking my pint glass!

Oh, and forgot I always have home smoked kippers for Christmas morning with whomever is staying over.

Those are the things that warm me through and fill my belly.

Good post Sharkey.

All what makes the world go round.

Unfortunately I won't get it this year but I look forward to stuffing (real stuff made from giblets and meat not Paxo!) sandwiches on home made bread from my parents but I'm at the outlaws this year.

This Crimble I was going to attempt deep frying our turkey until I read this:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html

Will now stick to part smoking in a Weber Kettle!

Cheers

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stuff the turkey, literally. I'll be having a proper corn fed hen!
    (It's the roast potatoes that make a proper dinner anyway)

I swapt half a wild boar for a home smoked eel ditto breast of turkey and home made smoked sausage and belly pork. So for Christmas eve I'm doing my own Julbord
    Bought the prawns and smoked salmon and a couple of jars of pickled herrings. Even managed to buy a bit of stilton.
    Christmas day i have a mate over for dinner and its widboar and moose with all the trimmings for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I swapt half a wild boar for a home smoked eel ditto breast of turkey and home made smoked sausage and belly pork.
    Haven't had smoked eels in ages - don't think it's legal to catch them here now because there's so few of them around

Ed