Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In todays news

Seems like a bit of a mish mash of "Firearms" used in the pic? Looks to me like a library pic of amnesty stuff.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Deputy Chief Constable Derek Benson said the force checked if any firearms licence-holders had been involved in any allegations of domestic abuse, even if they had not been arrested, charged or been found guilty of an offence.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I don't know about this.

It is my understanding that if you come to the attention of the police, either as a result of being prosecuted or investigated for something or are involved in some sort of disorder or domestic strife, automatically the fact that you are a certificate holder is flagged up and consideration is given to whether it's still right for you to have firearms.

So here, either that wasn't happening for some reason (either computer or human errors) or they have decided to be more robust and re-visit each case stretching back over a period.

Good for them, supporting legitimate domestic abuse victims..

However law abiding citizens on the strength of allegation alone are now guilty regardless of no evidence, charge or court appearance.

What a joke..
    Last edited by pheasant sniper 1; 23-12-2014 at 11:37. Reason: spelling
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Good point P S 1.

That first link above just looked like air rifles and bb guns to me so I would place that in the "scare mongering" category.
    The second link at least showed more serious hardware.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Good for them, supporting legitimate domestic abuse victims..

However law abiding citizens on the strength of allegation alone are now guilty regardless of no evidence, charge or court appearance.

What a joke..
    Hopefully that wouldn't be the case, I have read a few times of vindictive ex's reporting threats etc with the intention of getting partner in trouble or at least under pressure or greater scrutiny from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Hopefully that wouldn't be the case, I have read a few times of vindictive ex's reporting threats etc with the intention of getting partner in trouble or at least under pressure or greater scrutiny from the police.
    When you say "hopefully" unless ive read the article wrong the police went to visit everybody reported. Not everybody charged,cautioned or convicted.
    Having your sport,hobby, passion, job and living for some resting on hope that a bitter ex doesnt spill some bs to the police doesnt seem good to me.
    what happened to innocent until proven guilty.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    what happened to innocent until proven guilty.
    Exactly. Why are people being punished for something that there is no evidence they have done just because they happen to own something, perfectly legally, which some people consider politically incorrect? Indeed that I can see there is no evidence that a crime has even taken place, never mind evidence to connect specific people to a specific crime.

Also, say I'm some nut job on a crusade and discover that the police take guns away from anyone who has been reported as doing something wrong, evidence or not, what's to stop myself and my mates from starting to file reports of threats and aggression towards us from people we know or suspect to go shooting? No need to prove anything, no risk at all to the nut job, and a good sized national network of nut jobs to start doing the "good work."

Assumed guilt and punishment without evidence, conviction or proof is a very, very bad thing indeed and has no place in a free country but non-evidence based law enforcement seems to be very popular these days, even among many on this forum who, of all people, should know better.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/