In todays news

Deputy Chief Constable Derek Benson said the force checked if any firearms licence-holders had been involved in any allegations of domestic abuse, even if they had not been arrested, charged or been found guilty of an offence.

I don't know about this.

It is my understanding that if you come to the attention of the police, either as a result of being prosecuted or investigated for something or are involved in some sort of disorder or domestic strife, automatically the fact that you are a certificate holder is flagged up and consideration is given to whether it's still right for you to have firearms.

So here, either that wasn't happening for some reason (either computer or human errors) or they have decided to be more robust and re-visit each case stretching back over a period.

Good for them, supporting legitimate domestic abuse victims..

However law abiding citizens on the strength of allegation alone are now guilty regardless of no evidence, charge or court appearance.

What a joke..

Last edited:
Good point P S 1.

That first link above just looked like air rifles and bb guns to me so I would place that in the "scare mongering" category.
The second link at least showed more serious hardware.

Good for them, supporting legitimate domestic abuse victims..

However law abiding citizens on the strength of allegation alone are now guilty regardless of no evidence, charge or court appearance.

What a joke..

Hopefully that wouldn't be the case, I have read a few times of vindictive ex's reporting threats etc with the intention of getting partner in trouble or at least under pressure or greater scrutiny from the police.

Hopefully that wouldn't be the case, I have read a few times of vindictive ex's reporting threats etc with the intention of getting partner in trouble or at least under pressure or greater scrutiny from the police.

When you say "hopefully" unless ive read the article wrong the police went to visit everybody reported. Not everybody charged,cautioned or convicted.
Having your sport,hobby, passion, job and living for some resting on hope that a bitter ex doesnt spill some bs to the police doesnt seem good to me.
what happened to innocent until proven guilty.

what happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Exactly. Why are people being punished for something that there is no evidence they have done just because they happen to own something, perfectly legally, which some people consider politically incorrect? Indeed that I can see there is no evidence that a crime has even taken place, never mind evidence to connect specific people to a specific crime.

Also, say I'm some nut job on a crusade and discover that the police take guns away from anyone who has been reported as doing something wrong, evidence or not, what's to stop myself and my mates from starting to file reports of threats and aggression towards us from people we know or suspect to go shooting? No need to prove anything, no risk at all to the nut job, and a good sized national network of nut jobs to start doing the "good work."

Assumed guilt and punishment without evidence, conviction or proof is a very, very bad thing indeed and has no place in a free country but non-evidence based law enforcement seems to be very popular these days, even among many on this forum who, of all people, should know better.

what a lot of PISTOLS !!!! , air rifles air guns co'2 etc, Gat guns plug guns ? Do they need a cert !!! rest look if real like gang or drug guns! So they should have been removed , if an fac holder had one they got what they deserved , but i thought we as firearm holds " not the held for dispatch ", are not able have pistols in the UK !! how were they found in the hands of the lawful cert holders :-|
stream_img.jpg

This well known film statement came to mind

" the fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your guns... and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O"... written down the side of mine
:rofl:

if your hiding something then worry if not chill its there job !!!!!

if your hiding something then worry if not chill its there job !!!!!

Errrr, no. The job of the police is to gather evidence which is used in court to secure a conviction at which point the police may act to enforce the court decision.

Their job is not to listen to a complaint against you, decide you are guilty despite the total lack of evidence, and embark upon a campaign of punishment on the basis that their mates in North Korea might approve.

I knew about someone whose Gfriend was a nutter, needless to say he didnt listen and the two of them got steamin and an argument broke out, nothing happened but she made a complaint several days later and the police paid him a visit but the complaint was about the night before official complaint when the accused was with several friends and family at a birthday party.
She later apologised saying that she was Pd off that he did not phone her after the first incident.
I said he should ask the police if they where going to charge her with wasting police time and he said that he was going to leave it, my friend whom also knew my mate and a serving police officer said is he stupid as she was known for causing problems in the past (exactly what i said to guy) Next thing she said she was pregnant and he stepped up and got back together for the sake of future wean(s). Not another couple of months went by and his sister saaid to him when s the first scan and he asked his Gfriend and low n behold No pregnancy he dumped her right away and she said he threatened her and police turned up, took everything he had out of cabinet and revoked his licence. He went to court to prove all the stuff, emails texts etc and walked away a free man but still minus his goods.
There was talk ages ago about police interviewing past gfriends ex wives etc, What Chance Does Anybody Have, Guilty Guilty and Guilty no matter what happens at the trial you still lose everything.

Errrr, no. The job of the police is to gather evidence which is used in court to secure a conviction at which point the police may act to enforce the court decision.

Their job is not to listen to a complaint against you, decide you are guilty despite the total lack of evidence, and embark upon a campaign of punishment on the basis that their mates in North Korea might approve.

X2 Absolutely Sir!

Sad to say that the whole system seems now skewed to reflect the ethos of the Stasi who encouraged neighbour to spy on neighbour, is this being sponsored to compensate for the lack of boys in blue on the street?

Its worse when your ex is a police officer, their reason for taking my guns was due to a change in domestic circumstances!!! Yet they left me my moderators as they're "not bothered about them". She loved it and kept letting me know that. One officer even said to me "a lot has been made of it".
Then I got my guns back for three weeks before I had to put them back into storage as my renewal didn't come back in time. I ended up having two home visits in 6 weeks.

I bet if you had enough money to take them on you would win and I bet they know it. we only have ourselves to blame when this sort of thing starts to show its face basc and other field sports groups should take them to court to get a ruling on it . ( the last time I looked we still lived in a democracy and not a police state)

Whats the betting this is all down to the big cleaning house essex firearms went through last year ?

Neil. :)

:tiphat: In one....

I think you'll find that the role of the Police is to protect the Queen's peace, protect the public and property - amongst other things), evidence gathering is a facet to that.

You'll also find that incidents of Domestic Violence increase during the festive season - due in part to increased alcohol consumption, families being "thrown together" in stressful situations (Christmas) etc etc

Its well known that incidents of Domestic related murder also increase at this time of year.

It is standard operating procedure that background checks are carried out when the police attend any report of a "domestic" at any address.

Everyone with firearms - be that shotgun or sect 1 has markers on their address.

If theres an allegation of violence at the address, don't be surprised if the weapons and certificates are removed (temporarily) while any allegation is investigated.

If the matter goes as far as the court process - i.e. someone is charged with assault who's a certificate holder they will more than likely be revoked (thats also subject to appeal, but only after the court process)

The simple sad facts are that firearms are rarely used in domestic violence / murder, more likely kitchen knives, hammers, shards of glass,,,any blunt instrument (I've been to many over the years)

BUT the Police will remove any firearms if there is the hint of suspicion or allegation of violence against the certificate holder.

If people don't like it, I suggest you don't have domestics and deal with any argument / disagreement without resorting to raised voices or physical action.

Thats the way it is.

Yes, there are a lot of other arguments around this and one could have a tit for tat repost for a very long time, but as I say, it is what it is, deal with it.

Back