Thread: Help wanted for a dear old friend.....

Help wanted for a dear old friend.....

...I get attached to some things that have performed well and never let me down. I even say thank you to my car after a long trip - I probably need looking at?

I also know this is a shooting forum and this is fishing related but I feel there is a better chance of finding a new home for this faithful old friend than on other forums.

I have a 1970's Abu 6500C (with brand new spare spool) that has served me faultlessly on over 1000 sea fishing trips. When I had my own charter boat moored in Brighton this was out several times a week and has landed conger to 42lb, bass to 14lb and numerous double-figure cod - all on 15lb line and an Ugly Stik 15lb class uptide rod. Accordingly I cannot just throw this great little reel away.

The side plates are corroded through in several places and the bearings clatter - but it still works. All spares (new side plates etc and maybe a new cage) are available online but now that my sea fishing days are over I'm hoping it can find a new owner as I would like to think of it still in use with line screaming against the clutch as yet another double figure bass battles away.

If you think you could give this reel the TLC that it deserves and it is for your own use then I will send reel and spool to you for free.

This is a genuine "Made in Sweden" Abu - not the Far Eastern manufactured rubbish of today - and I'm sure this reel has years of use ahead of it if it is looked after.

All as picture below.

Attachment 50602

Thanks.

Iain
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    ...I get attached to some things that have performed well and never let me down. I even say thank you to my car after a long trip - I probably need looking at?

I also know this is a shooting forum and this is fishing related but I feel there is a better chance of finding a new home for this faithful old friend than on other forums.

I have a 1970's Abu 6500C (with brand new spare spool) that has served me faultlessly on over 1000 sea fishing trips. When I had my own charter boat moored in Brighton this was out several times a week and has landed conger to 42lb, bass to 14lb and numerous double-figure cod - all on 15lb line and an Ugly Stik 15lb class uptide rod. Accordingly I cannot just throw this great little reel away.

The side plates are corroded through in several places and the bearings clatter - but it still works. All spares (new side plates etc and maybe a new cage) are available online but now that my sea fishing days are over I'm hoping it can find a new owner as I would like to think of it still in use with line screaming against the clutch as yet another double figure bass battles away.

If you think you could give this reel the TLC that it deserves and it is for your own use then I will send reel and spool to you for free.

This is a genuine "Made in Sweden" Abu - not the Far Eastern manufactured rubbish of today - and I'm sure this reel has years of use ahead of it if it is looked after.

All as picture below.

Attachment 50602

Thanks.

Iain
    this is something that i would definitely use as i only have a beach casting reel for when i go boat fishing , but i wouldn't be happy taking it for free.

just had a dig in my gunroom and i have a deben tracer mini pro gunlight with red & uv filters that i no longer use because i have NV.

Could i perhaps pass this forward to someone on the forum in the same way?
    Free: Deben Mini Pro Gunlight
    Last edited by artschool; 22-12-2014 at 13:26.

Thats a great offer, well done.
    I'm with you on passing on an old friend rather than just chucking it out.
    For anybody thinking about the spares needed, they are all still available, and not that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    this is something that i would definitely use as i only have a beach casting reel for when i go boat fishing , but i wouldn't be happy taking it for free.
    But a 6500 is a beach reel.
    While people do use them for up tiding, as have I they are not really made for it.
    To prove it I have 3 sitting at the local shop waiting for me to fix them, which will now be after
    xmas as my spares supplier is shut for the holiday.

Neil.

Gone - to Artschool. PM sent.

I agree with Neil about the 6500 being designed as a beach reel but on a 15lb class rod my 7000 looks like a house brick and was rarely used!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    top notch eyefor

cracking idea.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube