Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does zero always move when new moderator fitted?

Does zero always move when new moderator fitted?

Hi

Excuse the newbie question but do you find that your rifles zero always moves when you fit a moderator?

I've just fitted an Ase Utra North star NS-3s to my Browning A bolt 6.5x55 and found the zero altered at least 2" low and 1" left compared to no moderator fitted, this was at 25m (only range available at club today). After thinking about this on the way home from the club I came to the conclusion that it's due to the weight of the moderator on the end of the barrel as the North star is quite hefty (660-700g). Also I've not had the chance to set the rifle/scope/zero up for me as only just got the rifle, hopefully get chance to get on a 100m range in new year.

Was shooting Privi 139gn target rounds if it makes a difference.

Yup, mine does, couple of inches lower at 100m

Yep. Weight and change in barrel harmonics.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

My POI drops 6" on my Abolt .270 when I fit the mod. It's an ASE Utra too, in 30cal. On the 22-250 (same mod, Abolt II) the POI only drops 2"..............but yes, almost certainly the point of impact will shift

i have a tikka 595 in .243 and use an atec maxim, poi is the same on or off.
    Always found this very strange!

Atb
    Joe

Thanks for the replies guys.

My 17 Hornet Savage offsets about 1/2 minute left with the moderator on: near as makes little real world difference.
    The 22-250 Tikka T3 I have shifts about 5 minutes left and low: right off the mark.

Just fitted an ASE SL5 to my A-bolt .308 this week. First go at 100m and roughly 3" up, 3" right. going to pull down to 50m and have a serious zero session next week when I have a bit more time. Was surprised just how much the zero moved.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    Just fitted an ASE SL5 to my A-bolt .308 this week. First go at 100m and roughly 3" up, 3" right. going to pull down to 50m and have a serious zero session next week when I have a bit more time. Was surprised just how much the zero moved.
    Apologies for minor thread diversion, but how do you find the SL5 performs on your .308 ? Heard one on a 25-06 today and was quite impressed.

My Mauser has a huge poi change with mod. But a 243 Rem 700 I had with a border barrel on it had no discernable POI change.

Dave