Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil seed rape?

Oil seed rape?

I have shot all 6 specie of deer in the uk butchered,sausaged, and burgered them also best of all eaten them, here,s the question i have been informed by a friend that a man who knows a lot about deer stalking informed him deer eating on rape tastes bad ,what is your knowlage of this.

Quote Originally Posted by wile View Post
    I have shot all 6 specie of deer in the uk butchered,sausaged, and burgered them also best of all eaten them, here,s the question i have been informed by a friend that a man who knows a lot about deer stalking informed him deer eating on rape tastes bad ,what is your knowlage of this.
    It's not good for them and they only tend to eat it whilst it is young. Even then it gives them the shits quite bad, but worse than that, it can turn them blind! I suspect that many a poor stalker has bagged a relatively easy Roe on a rape field that probably never saw them!
    MS

Well seems as if you have spoken a lot to deer

I am not sure about the taste but its not that good for them. In my experience they only seem to go for the rape in the middle of winter when other food sources are less plentiful. See attached photo from 21st Jan this year.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140121_164427.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	50645
    This roe seemed to be fine in every other way.
    2teal

i only shoot CWD and the odd muntjak but the cwd eat rape all day long and taste ok and have a thick layer of fat under the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    It's not good for them and they only tend to eat it whilst it is young. Even then it gives them the shits quite bad, but worse than that, it can turn them blind! I suspect that many a poor stalker has bagged a relatively easy Roe on a rape field that probably never saw them!
    MS
    +1 and very true regarding blindness

Bob

Here is a Roe that was eating the Rape flowers and almost certainly didn't notice me(at least,probably didn't/couldn't see me)stood in the tramline before head shooting him........he ate well though

Martin

its called rape blindness eating to much rape makes roe blind

I have seen and shot many roe and fallow on rape throughout its growing season, none of them have tasted bad or been blind.

I've heard of the taste of wood pigeon supposedly being tainted by OSR before but not deer

As above, oilseed rape blindness is well documented in deer but I'd imagine they'd need to eat an awful lot of it to get to that stage!
    Last edited by csl; 30-12-2014 at 21:39.