Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Rifles

3 Rifles

My new FAC should be printed on Monday they tell me so at last I'll be able to spend a little money. Just a little mind you, but it seems you can get quite a lot for 300. I'd like not to have to travel too far from Cambridge and the interesting rifles seem to always be the other side of the country.

I'll only buy one CF rifle to start with but since my main quarry will be munties it could fill any of the slots I am expecting.

So here's my shopping list:
    .22 Centre Fire

The perfect rifle would be screw cut and hopefully come with glass and mod, but these can be sorted one way or another. A developed load would be nice and either evidence of accuracy or a try-out. On the other hand I'm up for a project so if it looks rough that's OK and if reflected by a give away price even a benefit. A re-barrel on the other hand would not be economic.

Anything out there?

Cheers and have a super Christmas,

GH

the brno fox .222 advertised on here looks like it might fit the bill. I have no connection to the sale.

Simpsons in Newmarket have a nice little .243 Rem 710 with a T8 moderator for 250!
    Good little starter gun and probably the most versatile of your list.
    http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...41125135150872
    Should be able to get a little 6 x 42 and some rings for around 150?
    MS

GH,

I have a mauser 98 based .243 that's for sale, I have glass bedded it and it has a clean bore. It shots like an absolute dream. It's not a pretty rifle but has a well shaped stock for prone, sitting, standing. I can stick a 4x redfield wideview on it in warne mounts if you'd like as I'm not selling the current scope on it. Could zero it with that scope and show you groups if it went that far.

it cloverleafs 85g partitions with 35.5g varget, but also just about cloverleafs both 100g norma sp's and 100g federal sp's as well as 85g hornady bthp's. also likes 87g hornady bthp with 35g varget.

I can screw cut it and sell you an almost new atec maxim mod if you'd like. it's currently not threaded though.

stock and barelled action could do with a re-finish and re-blue, but personally I wouldn't bother. I could do both for you at a price if wanted of course.

'as is' with the redfield scope, I'd look for around 450. Threaded and with the mod, add another 225. Re-finished stock and re-blued, add another 250.

I also have a leupold 4-12x40 vx 1 I use on my .308, it would be fitted instead of the redfield at an increase of 150, so 600 instead of 450 (without thread and mod of course)

I wouldn't see a re-barreling being needed on this for many years, or any other work for that matter.

I stopped in at the Country Store in Sawston on Christmas Eve, David's got a nice selection of second hand rifles to suit all budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    My new FAC should be printed on Monday they tell me so at last I'll be able to spend a little money. Just a little mind you, but it seems you can get quite a lot for 300. I'd like not to have to travel too far from Cambridge and the interesting rifles seem to always be the other side of the country.

I'll only buy one CF rifle to start with but since my main quarry will be munties it could fill any of the slots I am expecting.

So here's my shopping list:
    .22 Centre Fire

The perfect rifle would be screw cut and hopefully come with glass and mod, but these can be sorted one way or another. A developed load would be nice and either evidence of accuracy or a try-out. On the other hand I'm up for a project so if it looks rough that's OK and if reflected by a give away price even a benefit. A re-barrel on the other hand would not be economic.

Anything out there?

Cheers and have a super Christmas,

GH
    300 will start you off on a decent ish scope .. as for the other couple of thousand `s.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    the brno fox .222 advertised on here looks like it might fit the bill. I have no connection to the sale.
    I am nobody on here but I do think the above comment is very valid. If nothing else, you will have a chance at a double set trigger and then you willl know if you love them or hate them. I have one of these rifles and unlikely to part with it anytime soon.

As for three hundred pound scopes. Well, it is very nice swanning around with Swarovski or S&B plastered across your optics but I have found 50 Hawke work just fine. No, not out to a thousand yards I agree, but work they do. The Fox seems not to care much as he won't see the writing from where he is.

It looks like that nice BSA CF2 with a Pecar scope on it is still there in the classifieds - Price is right - just not screwcut or a mod but that is easily remidied - a great place to start.

Ian

p.s. - Nowt to do with me - just a good deal on a sound package with no frills.

Thanks all. I keep seeing stuff in my price range but not very local. Something will come up...
    Cheers,
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Thanks all. I keep seeing stuff in my price range but not very local. Something will come up...
    Cheers,
    GH
    How local do you want it? The link I gave you even has a Cambridge post code.
    MS