Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resizing and annealing

Resizing and annealing

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if full-length re-sizing and annealing of fire-formed cases was necessary prior to reloading them? I think I've read enough to confuse myself, lol

annealing? fireformed?
    i get new cases and load em straight up then they expand for my barrel
    cases from someone else's gun i full length resize first

does that help

It does mate, thanks. I'm brand new to reloading.....the basic principles I understand, but I think I'm probably over-thinking a few fundamentals. As I understand it, fire-formed brass is a 'custom-fit' for the chamber of the rifle it was fired in, which is obviously a positive but I'm not entirely certain I'm good enough (or picky enough) to benefit from any advantage that would give me. I'm looking at my Lee dies that arrived today though, & they appear not to offer the option of neck-sizing only. Does it matter? I have a hundred or so fired cases that I intend reloading as hunting rounds, so sub-MOA accuracy at a mile & a half isn't a priority

I get decent results from factory ammunition to be honest, & I want to reload primarily to avoid wasting perfectly-good brass, so perhaps I'm over-thinking things & re-sizing the cases to standard dimensions won't necessarily disadvantage me?

Fl resize and be happy. Don't worry about fireforming or annealing. This five shot group was from FL resized cases.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 25-12-2014 at 00:21.

Thanks Muir. I had the feeling I was unnecessarily over-complicating things, right enough. Keeping it simple & easy appeals to me, and as I mentioned sub-MOA at daft distances isn't anything I feel the need to aspire to (not denigrating anyone who shoots targets though!)

I'm no expert but i don't resize new cases before loading. once they have been fired i neck resize only. This is because its less stretching on the case so they last longer (more reloads before they are knackered). you must use it in the same gun or they may get stuck if you use them in another rifle! I've done it!
    I only full length resize if they have been fired in another rifle or I'm using rounds in a straight pull rifle where they need to be a loose fit so they eject easily.

Quote Originally Posted by nick.308 View Post
    once they have been fired i neck resize only
    Thanks Nick I guess the Lee dies I already have will be for full-length resizing only, and I'd need an extra die if I wanted to resize the necks?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Thanks Nick I guess the Lee dies I already have will be for full-length resizing only, and I'd need an extra die if I wanted to resize the necks?
    Oh! The woeful lack of eduction these days!! You can, as RCBS used to call it, "Partial FL Resize". RCBS would recommend placing a US 5-cent piece between the shell holder and the dies when you set them to get the proper spacing. If you don't have a nickle in your pocket, that's about .075 inches.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Oh! The woeful lack of eduction these days
    Hahaha.......knew I'd be asking a stupid question sooner or later. Just didn't realise it would be quite this soon

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Hahaha.......knew I'd be asking a stupid question sooner or later. Just didn't realise it would be quite this soon
    Don't beat yourself ! Its not a stupid question !!!