Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear

Footwear

Today's basic question is:

Why do people appear to wear Wellington style boots when they go out stalking?

I have done my fair share of walking and the there is no way on earth I would ever dream of doing a serious walk in anything resembling a Wellington. A bit of gardening maybe.

I've used Meindl walking boots for last ten years and they are fantastic. Cannot see why anyone would buy wellingtons like Le chameau. Surely decent walking boots and gaiters are better if you are any where other than a nice manicured park?

But I am a novice... What do full guides wear?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JRLA View Post
    Today's basic question is:

Why do people appear to wear Wellington style boots when they go out stalking?

I have done my fair share of walking and the there is no way on earth I would ever dream of doing a serious walk in anything resembling a Wellington. A bit of gardening maybe.

I've used Meindl walking boots for last ten years and they are fantastic. Cannot see why anyone would buy wellingtons like Le chameau. Surely decent walking boots and gaiters are better if you are any where other than a nice manicured park?

But I am a novice... What do full guides wear?

Cheers
    I own both and wear what's best for the conditions. Regards JCS

Me and most of the stalkers i know where le chameau/aigle wellingtons ive never had any problems with dis Comfort. But it is always wet down here

If you were limited to one or the other, which would you buy?

Obviously I am just trying to justify not buying Wellingtons 😊

All depends on the ground you are stalking try Wellys over clear fell not saying you can't but not much protection on the ankles if you go over cheers TM 270

Going to have a look at some of these mac-gaiters or huntech gaiters. Old football injury means I need decent ankle support. Save myself a few pennies as well

"""I have done my fair share of walking and the there is no way on earth I would ever dream of doing a serious walk in anything resembling a Wellington. A bit of gardening maybe"""
    Oh well, why are you asking?
    Wellies have their place and for many months of the year nothing else comes near and when it comes to comfort there are some makes way more comfortable than the strap on Meindls etc...

Got a couple of decent pairs of boots, but got to say I go for my wellington more times than most, you can get some pretty decent supporting wellies these days.

M

I have both but seldom wear the wellies now other than for dog walking.
    I've found my Hanwags worn in tandem with a pair of Macgaiters give a huge amount of support and comfort, and all the waterproofing I need.

#1 for hanwags and macgaiters....