Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade folders..

Benchmade folders..

Just gralloched and butchered a large roe to its bare bones and after a wash in the sink it was totally unmarked and it never lost its edge at all.
    Got a "custom" knife and after a push up the sternum it was useless. Now my Q is why pay up to 500 for a fancy knife that fails when used for its intended use?
    Might be going in my thread "When good kit goes bad".

Sounds better than those Opinel things.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I have several Benchmade knives - my favourites are the Model 556 - Mini-Griptilian in 154CM

Take a great edge, hold it for ages, nice and thin so excellent for slicing, hard to knock holes in.

Many expensive knives seem to have less than optimal edge geometry and I suspect some heat treating is out of whack too.

I stopped buying O1 steel ages ago - unless you can source some European produced stock a lot of the Chinese stuff is rubbish - I have had several instances where it won't even reach 56C after hardening and BEFORE tempering

I know a lot of knives are made that don't get individually tested, many look stunning but may not fully capitalise on the steel's characteristics; basically I see a lot of knives made at premium prices that are identical regardless of the steel used. What's the point (no pun intended) of using a steel that by definition is capable of running thinner and grinding it exactly the same as any other alloy ?

I have an expensive laminated blade that chipped out on a rabbit bone the first time it was used, much to my chagrin.

Price is absolutely no indication of quality, or so I have found

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Just gralloched and butchered a large roe to its bare bones and after a wash in the sink it was totally unmarked and it never lost its edge at all.
    Got a "custom" knife and after a push up the sternum it was useless. Now my Q is why pay up to 500 for a fancy knife that fails when used for its intended use?
    Might be going in my thread "When good kit goes bad".

RD what knife was it please,

I use a buck knife set and it has a set blade and a folder with a gut hook, had it a longtime but would liken know if this will save me money,

Not as if I would ever pay silly money for a knife,

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Not 100% sure but the griptillian rings a bell. Twenty minutes from carcass to skeleton!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Not 100% sure but the griptillian rings a bell. Twenty minutes from carcass to skeleton!
    There are a few RD but I'll have a good look,
    thank you

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Probably been asked a million times but I'll ask again anyway, what's reckoned to be the best all round steel for a knife nowadays?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Probably been asked a million times but I'll ask again anyway, what's reckoned to be the best all round steel for a knife nowadays?
    Hi rod. OFF TOPIC

will text you tomorrow re meeting up at the pub, have to go to spec savers first on the 27th and then on my way

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi rod. OFF TOPIC

will text you tomorrow re meeting up at the pub, have to go to spec savers first on the 27th and then on my way

Bob
    OK Bob, text when you know what's what.

Not really off topic as the discussion is about good or crap knife blades, and that's all down to the steel. Just wondered what folk reckon is currently the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi rod. OFF TOPIC

Bob
    Bob, it's the carpark before the pub, marked "scenic" if I remember correctly. Left turn (from your end) a few hundred yards before air balloon.