Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: What is it?

  1. #1

    What is it?

    It's a while since I've seen a "what is this" post on here. So just to put that right, can anyone tell me what the substance is in this picture. I often see it around the odd flight pond, sometimes a bit away but whether this is coincidence or not, I don't know. It's jelly-like, perhaps the consistency of the jelly one might find in a pork pie but more opaque. I get the feeling I should know the answer to this, but in fact, I don't. Thanks.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	544.8 KB 
ID:	50678

  2. #2
    'Star jelly' It's thought that it's produced by frogs & toads prior to spawning

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Or prior to being eaten....
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke View Post
    'star jelly' It's thought that it's produced by frogs & toads prior to spawning

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    Or prior to being eaten....
    It must be fairly common as I have come across "blobs" of the mysterious "Star Jelly" maybe once or twice a year. In the Yorkshire Dales and on the High Pennines Cumbria, always on high moorland ground, usually on paths, sometimes in quite large amounts. (pint or more)
    No one seems to have come to a satisfactory explanation for this curious jelly like substance,
    Theories range from it being deposits from meteor showers or have been expelled by frogs when in danger, also other unlikely causes.
    Scientific test carried out on it have found no dna in its make up.
    So it remains a mystery.

    Lots of sightings here: https://helvellyn.wordpress.com/2011...-by-ullswater/
    “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

    Sherlock Holmes.

  6. #6
    The first picture on your link appears to show a piece of what I think is frog skin just below the ball of jelly right top corner. I attach a picture from November showing similar slime, this had a frogs foot nearby. I tend to see it Autumn and spring time tying in with amphibians moving about.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08149.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	770.8 KB 
ID:	51303


    Quote Originally Posted by telecaster View Post
    It must be fairly common as I have come across "blobs" of the mysterious "Star Jelly" maybe once or twice a year. In the Yorkshire Dales and on the High Pennines Cumbria, always on high moorland ground, usually on paths, sometimes in quite large amounts. (pint or more)
    No one seems to have come to a satisfactory explanation for this curious jelly like substance,
    Theories range from it being deposits from meteor showers or have been expelled by frogs when in danger, also other unlikely causes.
    Scientific test carried out on it have found no dna in its make up.
    So it remains a mystery.

    Lots of sightings here: https://helvellyn.wordpress.com/2011...-by-ullswater/

  7. #7
    heron puke,worked on a fishery for eight years turns up everytime the herons turn up in spring with young in tow,wasn,t there night before ,first light its there so unless some painter/decorator spilled his bucket there,elementary as conan doyle might have said,
    DONT START

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    heron puke,worked on a fishery for eight years turns up everytime the herons turn up in spring with young in tow,wasn,t there night before ,first light its there so unless some painter/decorator spilled his bucket there,elementary as conan doyle might have said,
    There must be a lot of sick herons around

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingercargill View Post
    There must be a lot of sick herons around
    they are very active at night plus they gorge on frogs/spawn in fact anything they can swallow ive seen them first thing and disturbed them and they have coughed up fish that are too big to swallow before they could take off,
    DONT START

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    they are very active at night plus they gorge on frogs/spawn in fact anything they can swallow ive seen them first thing and disturbed them and they have coughed up fish that are too big to swallow before they could take off,
    I know . I have about sixty of them nesting in one of the woods where I shoot . Noisy buggers , but never seen them being sick before

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •