Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of those times you wished you had a camera.

One of those times you wished you had a camera.

I drove out to a friends farm yesterday afternoon to tend some of his stock and domestic animals while he was away over Christmas. It was snowing heavily and I was slowly motoring my Hilux pickup along when my hunter's eye kicked in picking out something out of place along a low ridge 60 yards off of the road. There were about 20 mule deer lying on the hill side covered in snow. Just the ears and the black of their eyes and muzzle standing out against the white. I stopped in the middle of the road and glassed them. Absolutely beautiful animals. Their head and backs were snow covered. Some had snow on their eye lashes. They were watching me but totally unconcerned and I moved on before they got so. I'd have hated to disturb them. I do wish I'd had my camera, though.~Muir.

I always marvel at just how well wild animals can cope with the worst of conditions......that must've been a sight to see

Are they about the size of our roe?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Boy! Are you asking the wrong guy!!
    I looked at the description of a Roe on the home page and I think mule deer get bigger by a stretch. I shot a 150 pound doe last year. Shot this middle weight buck last month. (The neck looks odd because I broke it with a bullet)
    ~Muir

More like fallow I think?

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I do wish I'd had my camera, though.~Muir.

Sounds like a great sight and I'll look forward to the photo next time !

All the best, S.
    Last edited by Spix; 27-12-2014 at 13:22. Reason: spelling !

Yup I would agree.

But it it must have been great to see them whatever the size.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Yup I would agree.

But it it must have been great to see them whatever the size.
    It always is. I become a cold blooded killed when I get deer in my sights but up until then, and afterwards, I look on them as a creature of beauty and grace. They are my favorite wild animals to watch. ~Muir

Funny, isn't it? If I'm out for does I'm really happy to watch bucks just do their thing, & vice versa. I was once told by someone that he had absolutely zero respect for deer........I found it very hard to understand that. He subsequently proved himself to be just as big a p rick as that statement made me think he was at the time..............

I can't imagine that. I shoot them without emotion, but I do so because I have a huge amount of respect for the animal. I feel nothing when the cross hairs settle on the place I want the bullet to go and the only thing I am thinking of is sight alignment and trigger control. After the shot, and the deer is dead, I feel that twang of remorse over the death of such a beautiful and delicate creature, and I treat the carcass and the meat I butcher as an object of great value, knowing what had to die so that I can eat. Only a p rick, indeed, would treat the animal otherwise.~Muir