Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAC land size requirements could potentially prohibit my application??

FAC land size requirements could potentially prohibit my application??

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum this is my first post , I would really appreciate your advice and opinion regarding my FAC application , and the potential of being refused to own a rifle suitable for Deer in the UK.

My friends who are very experienced in both stalking and hunting generally have taken me out shooting over the last decade , I would have applied long ago for my cert but personal access to land with specific land owners written permission has prevented me applying , however a friend recently bought some wooded land a few months ago , he granted me permission to keep the abundant Rabbit and Fox population under control along with other vermin , but more significantly his land holds at least two species of Deer which he says I can also hunt. Problem is his lands only five acres , will this be a problem due to the required caliber of rifle legally required and the smallish area??? I anticipated using 308 for the Deer , the land is fairly heavily wooded and undulating so has a nice natural back stop in most directions I am also thinking of shooting from a tree stand or elevated platform for safety too. Could this small area verses caliber be a none starter for my application?? I have plenty of shooting opportunities as a guest elsewhere too as well as this area but as far as i'm aware I need specific permission to shoot on specific land prior to my application for it to be taken seriously .

My friends say this is on the limit of whats permitted but still legit for application , any other advice and opinions greatly appreciated.
    Regards Gaz

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Gaz

Access to land is not a prerequisite for a FAC, so go right ahead and apply. The fact that you do have access to land may work in your favour, but so will having access to other invitations to shoot.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Welcome to the forum. I'm no expert by any means, but if the land's got suitable opportunities for safe shots (i.e. decent backstops, no likelihood of errant walkers, etc) then it shouldn't necessarily be excluded, I wouldn't think. And as you mention, you can always put in high seats if backstops are a concern? I had both .270 and 22-250 granted on an open ticket on 160 acres with an A-road bordering one side, and a couple of B-roads acting as boundaries. It has plenty of scope for safe & sensible shooting

Of course you could always book paid stalking and use that as the justification for a calibre application too?

Plenty of guys here that can offer a lot more advice though

I would say use the the high seats as an aid to getting your fac, of you have any, I would put them up now before they come to inspect the land.

These days most licensing authorities require signed permission for at least one named primary piece of land in order to grant FAC and expanding ammunitions conditions, many no longer accept proof of paid for stalks or guest accompaniments as a good enough reason for granting
    The other hurdle is the lands suitability for the calibre you intend to use, you will be on closed conditions if a FAC is granted, your FEO will inspect the land and reccommend what "HE" thinks are safe calibres to use on the land not what you would like to use.
    You say you are in the north-east, not with Durham i hope???

Ian.

It shouldn't be a factor the size of land or caliber, but will no doubt raise some questions buy your FEO. You have good reason so that should be the end of it. But if you have a high seat fitted or a portable one this would provide a safe back stop and something you could mention you will do when the come to interview you.

Having access to other shooting and proof/evidence will also back up your application. This would play a heavily I should think
    If you have DSC1 even though not required will also provide some extra weight.
    Reference of people you shoot with also may aid you if required.

A smaller caliber maybe easier to get granted a .22rf for rabbit and .240 for fox etc.

Id personally apply for .308 and you maybe have to be prepared to come to some sort of compromise.

You will normally be on a closed cert as well, but this is not always the case. some do get issued an open cert on first application. But I don't know of many who have.
    Last edited by GunsmithDolphinholme; 26-12-2014 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    These days most licensing authorities require signed permission for at least one named primary piece of land in order to grant FAC and expanding ammunitions conditions, many no longer accept proof of paid for stalks or guest accompaniments as a good enough reason for granting
    The other hurdle is the lands suitability for the calibre you intend to use, you will be on closed conditions if a FAC is granted, your FEO will inspect the land and reccommend what "HE" thinks are safe calibres to use on the land not what you would like to use.
    You say you are in the north-east, not with Durham i hope???

Ian.

they would have a hard time justifying not letting you as Paid and Guest invites are specified as good reason examples of reasons to grant on the Form 201A that helps you fill in the application (tho you will need to be able to show they are Police cleared land as you wont get an open ticket)

section 9

http://www.dorset.police.uk/pdf/Fire...rm201A_14a.pdf

Also in order to dead end any "you don't have enough experience for a centrefire calibre yet' I would ask your friends who you have been stalking with for the last decade to write you a letter or two outlining your experience and that you're competent and safe with a firearm to show to the feo. This may prevent them from trying to impose a mentoring condition or DSC1 if you can provide evidence of previous experience and safety.

I have a piece of land 10 acres that was cleared to .223 with no probs, as long as the land has safe shots and is not in a area that it could cause danger you should be ok. It all depends on FEO personal opinion though in reality.
    but go for it.

As you have some land you could also book a few outings for deer. The more reasons to have a rifle the better chance you will have. As you stated about high seats they will like that as its safer shooting.