Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not intended as a pi**ing contest

Not intended as a pi**ing contest

Just wondered how far your favourite deer load is legal to? Having been developing a load in my 7mm WSM recently, I have just run the numbers through a Hornady ballistics program, the present load of 69 grains Ramshot Magnum under 162grain bullet has given a figure of 1700 ft lbs of remaining energy at 500yds, just legal in some parts of the UK, As in the title................. not intended as a p*****g contest, just genuine interest.Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have always been under the impression that the miniimum energy requirement was observed at the muzzle and not on target .
    Anyway energy transferred is a mathematical function of speed on arrival minus speed on departure through quarry species and bullet weight .
    This varies according to bullet construction and target mass , a complicated state of affairs .
    In the words of the late Robert Ruark `use enough gun.`

HWH.

Stag, you are correct in your statement that the measurement is taken at the muzzle, just trying to get a feel for the degradation of the energy side of things. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

...that'll be about 50yards with my 6.5x55 with 20inch barrel and low recoil home-loads!

Quote Originally Posted by scotspine View Post
    ...that'll be about 50yards with my 6.5x55 with 20inch barrel and low recoil home-loads!

+1

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Replying in sense of fairplay and I do not use this calibre for deer, unless I was in immediate danger !

825yds - 1705 ft lbs 250g bullet

Come on!, spit it out, what was it?

338 Lap Mag

Thought as much!............ Turbine tw****r!

He he he

every time I squeeze the trigger