4 Gauge Cartridges

liongeorge

I have inherited a couple of loaded 4 bore cartridges (AA) and wondered if they are worth anything or if there is a demand for these things.

I have since done a bit of research the cartridges have a 4 on the headstamp, with Eley-Kynoch (ici). This may not mean they are 4 gauge. They measure 3 3/4" length by 1" in diameter.

Any help with ID appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, you sometimes see them at Holt's, Gavin Gardier or Bonhams. Problem is getting them there will cost you and some auction houses charge illustration fees as well as minimum commission. I'd check past archive listings for the above three for prices realised and then try a private ad here or Sporting Gun.

Hi, The ELEY KYNOCH (ICI) headstamp puts them in the 1927 - 1963 bracket, details of case colour and print would be helpful. The four gauges were usually printed ELEY FOUR GAUGE CARTRIDGES, or, ELEY GASTIGHT CARTRIDGE (CASE). standard colours pre war were indian red, brick and crimson. Post war loads were often devoid of print and were seen in straw-white and red. There were a lot of buff and cream coloured cases released after the war, which had been intended as 1" flare cases, these often have a coloured band around them in green or red - wildfowlers bought them as a cheap alternative to commercial cases - dimensions are close enough to load as four gauge. value isn't high, £10 - £15 would buy them at a United kingdom Cartridge Club meeting. Cheers

Tony (UKCC member and shotgun cartridge collector)

Hi, The ELEY KYNOCH (ICI) headstamp puts them in the 1927 - 1963 bracket, details of case colour and print would be helpful. The four gauges were usually printed ELEY FOUR GAUGE CARTRIDGES, or, ELEY GASTIGHT CARTRIDGE (CASE). standard colours pre war were indian red, brick and crimson. Post war loads were often devoid of print and were seen in straw-white and red. There were a lot of buff and cream coloured cases released after the war, which had been intended as 1" flare cases, these often have a coloured band around them in green or red - wildfowlers bought them as a cheap alternative to commercial cases - dimensions are close enough to load as four gauge. value isn't high, £10 - £15 would buy them at a United kingdom Cartridge Club meeting. Cheers

Tony (UKCC member and shotgun cartridge collector)

Thanks Tony, they are red in colour, perhaps indian red with nothing written on them at all apart from 'cartridge case made by eley-kynoch' in small lettering around the cartridge near the base. The AA is printed on the piece of card that seals the end below the roll top.
For that value I am happier hanging on to them as an interesting object.

Thanks Tony, they are red in colour, perhaps indian red with nothing written on them at all apart from 'cartridge case made by eley-kynoch' in small lettering around the cartridge near the base. The AA is printed on the piece of card that seals the end below the roll top.
For that value I am happier hanging on to them as an interesting object.

Hi that's put's them mid to late fifties. Another clue is in the primer (cap) colour, if copper they are pre '58 and if brass they are mid '58 onwards.

Hope that helps.

Tony

PS if you ever come accross pre war rare gunmaker or ironmonger cartridges drop me a line - I'll usually buy good examples.

Back