Just saw this on the BBC - What is it?

Mr. Gain

It looks to be an AR15-style 12g. The hand-guard shape suggests it's a pump-action, but the position of the barrel in the hand-guard gives the impression that there is a gas tube above the barrel. The stock is apparently of the folding type. The photo seems to originate from Central or South America (perhaps Brazil).

Despite a bit of Googling, I can't so far identify it.

So, gentlemen of the SD, I call on your aid once again!

P.S. I know I should really be out shooting, but I have been struck down by that most manly of ailments, the common cold, so am bridging the time between visits from the nurse with firearms trivia.

Last edited:
not a spas for def,not even a shotgun.dodgy chinese/russian assult rifle
Maybe so.
Yet, I wonder why the Russians and/or Chinese would they base an assualt-rifle on a copy of an Italian shotgun, right down to the long bridge over the receiver and the red writing on the mag? Why would they include the peculiar forend designed for pump-action use?
;)

Last edited:
It looks like a Franchi spas 15 12 bore :thumb:

correct I've used one of these..bit pointless given mag cap.

for the 'its not a spas' brigade :-|
....look at spas12.com and checkout the related spas15 ...then say it isn't a spas 15 :thumb:

correct I've used one of these..bit pointless given mag cap.

An 8-cartridge mag doesn't sound bad - particularly when you can drop the old one off and pop another on, rather than having to reload one-at-a-time into a tube.
Also, easier to swap between types of cartidge when needed?

I've never used either gun, but here must be some advantages over the 12?

P.S. I know I should really be out shooting, but I have been struck down by that most manly of ailments, the common cold

Do not belittle your suffering, I too am suffering man flu at the moment but found this site helpful http://manflu.info/index.htm

I am married to a nurse who says that she does sympathy at work, not at home so I am suffering alone, so I am thinking of moving back with my mum for a few days!

Regards,

Martin

An 8-cartridge mag doesn't sound bad - particularly when you can drop the old one off and pop another on, rather than having to reload one-at-a-time into a tube.
Also, easier to swap between types of cartidge when needed?

I've never used either gun, but here must be some advantages over the 12?
Magazines for these spas15s rare as hell
the one I got my mitts on had been modified by hybridising the mags with Bren mags to up the capacity...euch
the advantage over the spas12 is that it isn't a spas 12. Dreadful heavy awkward weak and complicated to strip and operate. The 15 had the detachable mag but the vepr and the Saiga both do it better

Back