Thread: Advice on rifle and barrel cleaning.

Advice on rifle and barrel cleaning.

What is the correct procedure in cleaning Rifles .22 .17hmr. 243 etc. Just wondering if iam doing it correctly and at the right intervals.
    Ive also have juat acquired a 300 RUM with a krieger barrel. Is there a different procedure for this barrel and calibre.

You will get a lot of differing replies. With a cartridge that is as overbore as the 300 Rum I would clean every 20-30 shots. I am a fan of Forrest bore foam but I'm sure others will disagree. A quality barrel like a Kreiger will hopefully foul very little.

SD Regular
    With a .22LR and modern non-corrosive ammunition I would NEVER clean the barrel. Just leave it untouched. But a toothbrush around the bolt face and the back of the camber to clean grease and powder residue is a good idea after every box or two of cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    With a .22LR and modern non-corrosive ammunition I would NEVER clean the barrel. Just leave it untouched. But a toothbrush around the bolt face and the back of the camber to clean grease and powder residue is a good idea after every box or two of cartridges.
    My .22lr starts to lose accuracy after a few hundred rounds, whereupon I give it a quick pull-through and it's ok again. That's the only clean it gets, apart from a wipe over the outside with a lightly oiled rag.

If it's dirty, clean it. If it's wet, dry it

Mine gets a boresnake through it every couple of boxes, or indeed just when I decide I feel like it. Bolt gets a clean at the same time & barrel & action get a wipe with an oily rag before it gets put away. No need to get hung up on the minutiae.......just use common sense

Cleaning is one thing and as already mentioned will solicit many suggestions ranging from “never” to “after every shot” so I will simply say this:

Whatever you decide, never put a rifle back in the cabinet that has accumulated moisture in the bore without first removing such.

I’ve chosen my words carefully.

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 30-12-2014 at 13:37.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I’ve chosen my words carefully
    Didn't bother with spellcheck though, huh?