Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accident

Accident

Was recently told of a stalking accident where the stalker had his rifle bolt embedded in his shoulder, story went that whilst reloading for another shot at a group of hinds the cartridge went off before the bolt was locked down sending the bolt rearwards through his biceps and into his shoulder.
    Reason given for the accident was that the firing pin had stayed in the fired position, so as it was thrust forward striking the primer...
    Has anybody ever heard of such a malfunction?????

It's called a 'slamfire', I believe. I've never heard of it happening in a bolt-action rifle though. It's a good example of why regular checking & cleaning of your rifle (not just necessarily the bore) is a damn good idea though

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Was recently told of a stalking accident where the stalker had his rifle bolt embedded in his shoulder, story went that whilst reloading for another shot at a group of hinds the cartridge went off before the bolt was locked down sending the bolt rearwards through his biceps and into his shoulder.
    Reason given for the accident was that the firing pin had stayed in the fired position, so as it was thrust forward striking the primer...
    Has anybody ever heard of such a malfunction?????
    You started the gossip. When, where?

Stan

I know the lad it happened to , hope he has a speedy recovery .!!!

Just out of interest, what was the rifle?

Possible if the firing pin snapped during the reload process thus allowing the firing pin to fly forward under the firing pin spring pressure.

Would have to reload very vigorously to create enough force to set of a primer if the firing pin was already proud of the bolt face.

Slam fires are usually seen in semi auto rifles where the bolt carrier is powered forward by spring pressure used to reload after the gases have blown the bolt carrier group to the rear and extracted the spent case.
    Also this would cause a nice full auto x number of rounds burst till the mag went empty 😊

Heard of it happening with damage sustained to a hand

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    You started the gossip. When, where?

Stan
    About two weeks ago, Perthshire I believe...

Had it happen to me about thirty years ago, with a Sako, hand extremely swollen thumb especially but no damage other than that nothing broken, and no damage to the rifle.
    Why did it happen don't really know had rifle checked and no cause found.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Why did it happen don't really know had rifle checked and no cause found
    That would be a worry. Maybe a dodgy primer & a stuck firing pin at the same time?

I know the military use hard primers to prevent this exact thing. The only time I ever heard of a slamfire was with a Stirling smg, but that was due to negligence as the WAAF concerned hadn't visually checked chamber & let the working parts slide forward with a round still in. As the smg had a fixed firing pin she ended up sending it downrange. Thank f*ck she didn't have a mag' on!