Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle lottery

Rifle lottery

It seems to me getting a great rifle is a bit of a lottery.

My first rifle was a bog standard Tikka T3 in 6.5x55, which loves 120 grain BTs, groups into ĺ inch at 105m and not one of the 30+ deer shot have gone far despite minimal damage.

I didnít realise how lucky I was and have spent much time and money b*ggering about and failing to get such good results. Is there almost as much variation between individual rifles as there is between makes?

You can walk in to a shop & buy an off the shelf second hand rifle that could equal the best results from a hand made special, it's that spooky mate!
    Last edited by finnbear270; 13-03-2010 at 18:48. Reason: crappy keyboard
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You've basically made my point in one sentence Finnbear! If one forked out for something along the lines of an RPA though, do you think you would be 'guaranteed' a reasonable result?

What's a guarantee worth?.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have to chuckle at the comment from the manufacturers wording,........... each rifle comes with it's own three shot group target before it leaves the factory,................ Five shots make a group, NOT three!

my gun smith told me that i could pick the best components out there and a bog standard gun off the shelf could beat the bespoke model says it all

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    What's a guarantee worth?.
    If you're talking RPA anything between £1759 and £2200 for their general purpose hunter in .243

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    my gun smith told me that i could pick the best components out there and a bog standard gun off the shelf could beat the bespoke model says it all
    Might I suggest you look for a better gunsmith.

I think the essence of the post was " an off the shelf could or may" be on a par or better than.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Like any dicipline. It's only as good as the person pulling the trigger. A motorbike is only as good as the person riding it. A fighter jet is only as good as the pilot, the list could go on and on.

I work with many people who have only ever shot a Semi Automatic/Fully Automatic weapon system, some with very good accuracy, I have seen them with a bolt action rifle with a 2K sighting system and their grouping is worse than a Semi Auotmatic, shorter barreled weapon.

If your compatent and have the confidence in your chosen equipment, then you are 99% there. I'm sure most on here will have bought a rifle that they very soon realised for what ever reason, they were not happy with it. This then knocks your confidence in the equipment and everything then spirals to the point, you'll leave that rifle in the cabinet and take the "Other" one out ALL of the time.

Just my pennies worth......

TJ